Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Installing Ford/Audiophile Sub in 04 FX4 SuperCrew

Old 02-16-2009, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Ford/Audiophile Sub in 04 FX4 SuperCrew

I have read multiple informational threads on this topic and I'm still about to pull my hair out. I have the correct head unit with the subwoofer connection. Everything I've read says the connection for the sub is under the back seat and can be found near the slit in the carpet. I've even seen pics that show exactly where it is supposed to be. I've nearly taken my truck apart and cannot find the connector or even where the wires go once the leave the head unit. They just seem to disappear. Sorry for the frustration, but I've been looking for two days and am about ready to give up. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!!
Old 02-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Samkat93
I have read multiple informational threads on this topic and I'm still about to pull my hair out. I have the correct head unit with the subwoofer connection. Everything I've read says the connection for the sub is under the back seat and can be found near the slit in the carpet. I've even seen pics that show exactly where it is supposed to be. I've nearly taken my truck apart and cannot find the connector or even where the wires go once the leave the head unit. They just seem to disappear. Sorry for the frustration, but I've been looking for two days and am about ready to give up. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!!

Did you see this one...
https://www.f150forum.com/showthread...lug#post143491

I tried too and gave up trying to find it and sold the box and went aftermarket.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:42 PM

Yep. Saw that one. That's the main one I referred to. The pics were helpful. Thought the connection for the sub would be right there and I'd just plug it in. Apparently, it's not that simple. Got such a good deal on the sub and deck ($75 for both) I thought this would be a no brainer. Oh well.....
Old 02-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Yep. Saw that one. That's the main one I referred to. The pics were helpful. Thought the connection for the sub would be right there and I'd just plug it in. Apparently, it's not that simple. Got such a good deal on the sub and deck ($75 for both) I thought this would be a no brainer. Oh well.....

Was that the deal from ebay?

Some people have said that the plug it further back than others. Have you pulled the door sil and back cover piece off to see if the plug heads up from the loom under the sil?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:59 PM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Where did you get that deal from? If you give up, let me know, id be more than happy to take the units off your hands.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:10 PM

It was a Craigslist deal. I hate to give up cause I think it was such a great deal. I have pulled the panel where the rear seatbelt is attached. I can see a ton of wires through there but no pigtail that "splices" off with any kind of connection for the sub. Am I missing something you think?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

It was a Craigslist deal. I hate to give up cause I think it was such a great deal. I have pulled the panel where the rear seatbelt is attached. I can see a ton of wires through there but no pigtail that "splices" off with any kind of connection for the sub. Am I missing something you think?

If you can se the loom going all the to the rear (past the cab) and there is no split then the wire is not there. Have you looked for the plug itself behind your HU yet?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:22 PM

Yes, the plug going into the head unit is there. Plugged it right in. It's just that it's nearly impossible to follow those wires. They literally seem to just disappear.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default follow my pics

just follow my pics in the other post, the THICK black wire looking thing behind the driver kickpanel is the wires from the plug behind the head unit, they go to the white plug, and on the trucks equiped with the audiophile, they come out from the other side (that harness is 750-900 bucks) we don't have it, just 1/2, now we have to finish where they left off, and run wires from the back side of the plug, (or just cut into the wires before they go into the plug, and run a power and a ground wit the 4 wires to the sub plug from what I gather.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by FOMOCO466
just follow my pics in the other post, the THICK black wire looking thing behind the driver kickpanel is the wires from the plug behind the head unit, they go to the white plug, and on the trucks equiped with the audiophile, they come out from the other side (that harness is 750-900 bucks) we don't have it, just 1/2, now we have to finish where they left off, and run wires from the back side of the plug, (or just cut into the wires before they go into the plug, and run a power and a ground wit the 4 wires to the sub plug from what I gather.
You did get a great deal. If you cannot find the sub's wiring (not all trucks were pre-wired by the way for the facory sub!), then order it from Ford. The part numbers for the two wiring harnesses would set you back about 50 bucks, and the part numbers for them have been posted on the stereo forum several times. You may have already found them. With what you paid for the radio and sub, you'd still be ahead on money invested.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing Ford/Audiophile Sub in 04 FX4 SuperCrew