Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Installed my Homelink today (writeup and pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installed my Homelink today (writeup and pics inside)

So - one of my pet peeves in the truck was the lack of a Homelink adapter. Why it wasn't included with the truck is beyond me....
So...
I added one.

I bought the Homelink on eBay for $15.00 including shipping. They are all over eBay, just make sure you buy one that is "rolling code capable" to make sure it will work with nearly any garage door opener.

Step 1 - Decide where to install it.
I figured the best place would be on the overhead console, in front of the map lights..... So - remove it! The unit pulls straight down, and has one plug to remove.

Step 2 - Make sure the spot you are going to mount it is big enough. The Homelink has a big black box on the underside.

Step 3 - One of the hardest parts to any install is to measure over and over again to make sure you get centered - or in the correct spot. I used a speed square and a pencil to mark.

Step 4 - Mark Mark Mark - Take your time to mark carefully - especially when you are drilling holes in your interior!

Step 5 - Make sure your holes line up!! If not, off to FORD or the Junkyard you go!

After you drill, you can mount the Homelink on the underside of the light fixture (apologies, I did not get any pictures of this, but all you have to do is line up the holes you just drilled!
The most difficult part of this install was the button posts were not long enough to push the buttons on the Homelink (since I went through thick plastic instead of fabric). To remedy this, I used quick drying Epoxy and glued small pieces of plastic to the tops of the buttons extending them a little bit (you will understand when you do this install).

There are only 2 wires on the Homelink unit. a 12v+ and a ground. In the overhead console, the wires powering the map lights have both. Just make sure you use a meter and check first. One warning - the voltage changes in the middle wire when the truck ignition is on. When you check for your 12v+ and ground, make sure you have a meter and check all key positions to make sure the voltage does not change.

Once connected, mount everything back up and you should see this

Programming the Homelink was easy as cake. Just go to http://www.homelink.com/ and follow the instructions.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a really good idea since I lost my stupid garage opener lol. Good write up!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:27 PM
2005 XLT F150

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Love the cheap idea but thieves can break in your truck and open your garage . One of my other vehicles a couple of years ago had a homelike but they where dumb to open garage and rip me off more
Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's okay- I have Mr.Ruger 45 to protect us- also... My street has Hummers and 3 Cadillacs... I don't see them messing with my ford lol
Old 03-15-2012, 09:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

love it dude!! thanks!

Quick Reply: Installed my Homelink today (writeup and pics inside)