Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Infamous spark plugs.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Infamous spark plugs.....

So few weeks ago, driving back from the gym the truck(2007 f150 xlt 5.4) started to almost stall and the check engine light came on. Ran rough for a few blocks and west away within next two minutes. My first thought was its missing and probably time to change the plugs.

I'm familiar with the issues surrounding this plug and its design, and am already in possession of the lisle tool to remove the broken plugs that snap off in the head. I had a fouled plug right after i bought the truck(used with 24k miles on it a few years ago), and learned all about the process that is removing these little buggers.

So i bought new motorcraft plugs a few days ago and started to change them this weekend. Broke a few but the lisle tool performed exactly as its supposed to and was able to successfully dig them out of the head.

This morning i started on the back 2 on the passenger side, removed the pcm computer and allowed them to soak in carb cleaner for a few hours. Was able to get the second from the back loose and went to fish it out and im left with just the hex nut with the rest of the porcelain insulator and shield remaining upright in the head.

I tried pulling it out with a long set of needle nose pliers but to no avail. Im under the impression that the way to remove this little guy is to either 1)-attempt to pull out with pliers or other tool, or 2)-crack the porcelain flush off in the head and use the lisle tool to dig the shield out.

My question is which method is preferred in situation similar to the one i find myself currently in. I guess im just a little apprehensive to crack the plug where it sits because my fear is i wont crack it flush and the lisle tool will be ineffective in retrieving the rest of the plug.

Ideas???Prior experience???

help.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:53 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Break it off and use the Lisle tool. I'm also a big fan of impacting the plugs out on a hot engine.

Last edited by VTX1800N1; 04-13-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Yup. Break it and lisle it out. Ford techs get the engine at operating temp and spin them out with an impact. Thats how I did mine..
Old 04-13-2014, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this may be a dumb question, but how percisely would you go about breaking it off? My first guess would be to grab the tip of the plug with pliers and bend it sideways?

how would you ensure that you get the plug flush so you can use the lisle tool?
Old 04-13-2014, 04:31 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by GoBucks2009
this may be a dumb question, but how percisely would you go about breaking it off? My first guess would be to grab the tip of the plug with pliers and bend it sideways? how would you ensure that you get the plug flush so you can use the lisle tool?
somewhere on the forum(sorry I'm not sure where) they posted the latest TSB with info on breaking the plug. The same thing happened to me on cylinder #5. I was very nervous about breaking it. I used needle nose pliers and with a tight grip on the plug rocked back and forth(quite a lot of force was necessary) until it snapped. If it doesn't snap clean I remember there's a pick like tool you can use mentioned I the TSB to break the porcelain apart until you can get the lisle in there. Remember to vacuum that out very well so none of that falls into the cylinder when you get the plug out. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Infamous spark plugs.....