Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

impending doom

Old 03-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

Default impending doom

...so I take my truck into the dealer for a second PATS key (used truck came with only one). Minutes later the service writer comes to tell me my truck is aparently about to explode and fall off the wheels...Here she is up on the lift, "Looky here, all four rotors need turning, and you'll need new pads too...if we do them today we might be able to save these rotors. Feel this tiny edge on the outer part? That means the rotor's almost ruined! Look at the fuel filter...see those rust spots? It's about to clog up and cause your engine to quit working right. Look at this power steering fluid, how it's dark. That's got to be flushed. Same for the brake fluid and transmission fluid. I don't know if I'd feel safe driving off the lot in this truck. The tires are OK, but they look kind of "iffy". You want us to get started on this stuff?" (about $900.00 they say) Uhh...., no.
At less than 50K it seems my truck is a rolling disaster. Except it runs and drives fine. And the brake pads check OK with the dealers own "green" gauge. And every rotor I ever saw had a small edge after a few thousand miles of driving. Rust spots on the fuel filter???? I appreciate the courtesy inspection, but I've been turning wrenches on my own vehicles for over thirty years. I know when I'm being shined on. Must be a slow week for them.
I paid for my key and thanked them. See-ya.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Sideways :-)

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

i hate ppl like that... seriously **** me off. con ppl and scare them into a corner and basically rob them of money for the most part. its so hard to find honest ppl these days
Old 03-24-2010, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hence "stealerships"
Old 03-24-2010, 10:10 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Makes me feel bad for the people who trust what they say.

Hell, when I got my truck aligned after the level he tried to upsell me $800 worth of flushes.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:56 PM
PJB

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I dont trust dealers at all. Theyre always trying to scare people into paying for stuff they dont need.

A long time ago I took my parents '00 Caravan to the dealer for rear brakes and they tried selling me $1500 worth of work.

Dumb stuff like power steering flush, injector cleaning and more. The van was only a few years old with low miles. I told them no but the next time my gullible father took the van there he ended up paying for all that stuff.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:45 AM
BLOWN club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow lol they could have ripped you off if you werent so smart and worked on your own truck. imagine how many people get ripped off because they have no idea about their car/truck
Old 03-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Sideways :-)

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a lift and around 100k worth of tools in my backyard (dads a 35year tech) i know the BS inside and out and it pisses me off when they try to sell it to me or one of my friends
Old 03-25-2010, 01:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha wow. luckily the dealer i go to for the most part doesnt try and upsell me anything. i do have a funny story though. so my friend goes into ez lube the other day with his ram 1500 (i know its a dodge who cares and its ez lube what do you expect.) but after the oil change they give him the usual speel you need the flushes and filters changed why not just let us rebuild the whole engine for you? but then the guys like "man you musta takin this truck to another place last time cause there was some crappy oil in there." my buddies like "oh really? cause if you check your records or even looked at the sticker on the window youd know i brought here last time." well that really caught the guy off-guard and he comes up with some bs like oh well you musta not have gotten the good oil we offer and went with the cheap oil. hes like oh really?? cause the guy last time never mentioned anything about good oil or crappy oil. he said this was the only kind. hes like ya you should be running the full synthetic. these guys just crack me up. i like how there offering their new low price of $25 when there previous deal was $20. that seems kinda strange to me?
Old 03-25-2010, 05:48 AM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

ha ha yeah it happens alot sadly. its like the lentz muffler shop that tried to get me for $1000 worth of balljoints, u-joints and labor on my ranger after i had just replaced all of that weeks before that. its scary becuase so many people fall for it. you dont know who to trust these days.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:34 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by PJB
I dont trust dealers at all. Theyre always trying to scare people into paying for stuff they dont need.

A long time ago I took my parents '00 Caravan to the dealer for rear brakes and they tried selling me $1500 worth of work.

Dumb stuff like power steering flush, injector cleaning and more. The van was only a few years old with low miles. I told them no but the next time my gullible father took the van there he ended up paying for all that stuff.
While I can agree with all of the opinions of bad dealerships, there are good ones out there. I have a great relationship in my local Ford dealership, Lewisville Ford in the Dallas Texas area. I bought my truck used, and this place has treated me like a million bucks. I take my truck in about every three to four months for an oil change (they do $19.95 semi-synthetic "specials"). They always do the curtiousy inspections, but never use the scare tactics as described by some of the posted experiences on this thread. I always get the handshake and "come back soon" greeting when I leave. Even a free cup of coffee and donut while I wait (like I need the donut!).

The parts guys know me well; I buy most of my replacement parts from them, and get a decent discount; I shop around, but usually find that the part would not be any cheaper if I bought it from any online source by the time shipping costs are added in, and when "I gotta have it now" I have the part the same day, when I need it when purchasing local.

My suggestion would be to look for another dealership. Let the new ones know you are looking because of the bad experiences you have had in the past; don't be afraid to name the dealership you had the bad experience with.

Not fair to label them all "stealerships"... at least to the few (apparently) dealerships that do go out of their way that offer excellent service.

I'm with you though; if any service department did what the original poster wrote in the first post, I'd kindly ask to talk to a manager, and let them politly know that I will not be coming back due to the tactic that was used.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 03-25-2010 at 06:42 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: impending doom