Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

I'm sure it's been asked before but my search found nothing, Super or Turbo Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm sure it's been asked before but my search found nothing, Super or Turbo Charger?

It's sad that I cannot afford a brand spanking new truck, Even though it would still have been a Ford, I have to settle with a 2005 F150, apparently rated at 300hp, and what's sadder is that the new Mustang v6 engines produce 5 more than this one... What is cheaper to do, Supercharger, Turbocharger, or total engine work such as Port and Polish, cams, exhaust, etc... Keep in mind I live in Mayer, AZ right now and there's no need to smog vehicles here...

The turbo, I was thinking, if not a single in the engine, I might twin it using an STS although keep in mind as well that for about 2 miles each day I will be driving off road to a school, so would either a Turbo or a SC be even good for that?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for offroad I would do supercharger. Every now and then a good used kit pops up on here. personally im going with a whipple just because ive used them on 3 of my other vehicles and never had any problems. $5800 for a full brand new kit is out of the question for me though so im just holding off until I fond a used one around $3500. I do love STS and there one $4000 for the single turbo system but I would never take that offroad even if it was just gravel...
The following users liked this post:
Draghon (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 10:18 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

To super charge or turbo charge that truck is going to set you back $5 or 6k with very limited results If you were to put that money with your truck you could probably get into a 2011 or newer 5.0 or even a EB which will give you about the same or more power and a lot more reliability. I f you try to boost or hop up the 05 to match the performance of the newer engines you will just be digging a hole in which to throw money just my $.02 worth.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:41 PM
12 Second Truck

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbabud
To super charge or turbo charge that truck is going to set you back $5 or 6k with very limited results If you were to put that money with your truck you could probably get into a 2011 or newer 5.0 or even a EB which will give you about the same or more power and a lot more reliability. I f you try to boost or hop up the 05 to match the performance of the newer engines you will just be digging a hole in which to throw money just my $.02 worth.
You call 180 more hp at the wheels "limited results"? Also I'm certain none of the new the trucks are laying down 400rwhp. And yes the motor will run forever at 6psi.

Draghon used Whipple kits pop up all the time ranging from $2300-$3500. One just sold in the classifieds this week for $2300. Be patient they come along. There's one for sale right now on another F150 site for I think around $3k. PM me if interested. I've been Whipple charged for 4 years. No problems yet.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:51 PM

I thank you all, I am just right now setting up a plan and don't want to screw up like I did with my Mustang. With it, I started on non power and suspension mods then by the time I got to the engine, I had no money... I have no money right now but hopefully I will be getting a job mid Oct. at the school my wife works and within a couple months I will then have the money to get the Supercharger... I know on a Mustang V6, the most you want to open the pipes to is 2.5", what's the biggest on the F150? I'm thinking before the SC I'll add a Dual exhaust...
Old 10-04-2013, 12:15 AM

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Because a truck especially a 4x4 truck needs the low rpm tq to get moving a PD blower is the only way to go....and with you being off the paved road, the compact supercharger will work a lot better....... Now have you thought about any support mods that will work very well with and without a boost? What size tire are you on? Do you tow? What Mods do you currently have?

Longtubes w/ hi-flow catted or O/R Y pipe, a cat back exhaust with flow thru style mufflers, gears, programmer, and transmission shift kit will go along way.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:47 AM

I have a 4x2, right as of now, I just bought the truck (well my parents did) I assume it's 100% stock, I will be towing stuff, dunno what, Maybe my Mustang when it finally craps out on me, lol, but seriously, I'd probably use it to tow equipment assuming I get the job at the school as a Maintenance worker. Worst case scenario maybe pull a few stumps out of the ground... Support mods, as in? pullies? or what?

Trending Topics

Old 10-04-2013, 02:18 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown Ford
You call 180 more hp at the wheels "limited results"? Also I'm certain none of the new the trucks are laying down 400rwhp. And yes the motor will run forever at 6psi.

Draghon used Whipple kits pop up all the time ranging from $2300-$3500. One just sold in the classifieds this week for $2300. Be patient they come along. There's one for sale right now on another F150 site for I think around $3k. PM me if interested. I've been Whipple charged for 4 years. No problems yet.
Are you saying 180 wheel horse power with just 6psi boost and no other mods? You might find a used blower for $2300 but its the other mods to make it perform without destroying the engine is where the big bucks are at ka ching. And don't forget the rest of the drive train. Kaaa ching
Old 10-04-2013, 02:28 PM

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts

Id go super merely because there easiest to install. I hope you plan on upgraded internals, otherwise you wont be able to run decent boost. But, sounds like a good idea. FI trucks are always cool
Old 10-04-2013, 02:49 PM

Yeah, I think I'm gonna go Supercharger, simply cause of what you guys are saying in my off road situation... the off road isn't too bad, it's just like constantly driving on the rumble strip on the side of the freeway but with golf ball sized rocks scattered all over, I mean it's not like rock crawling where I'm going slow, it's a fast paced (well the limit says 25, yeah right I'm driving that!) dirt road... A Turbo would just shake apart I think...

Quick Reply: I'm sure it's been asked before but my search found nothing, Super or Turbo Charger?