Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

I'm such a girl... anybody willing to throw out advice towards a lift?

Old 02-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Ex Badge Bunny

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Question I'm such a girl... anybody willing to throw out advice towards a lift?

Ok, so I just bought my 2008 STX 2wd in December and I want my truck to look more "beefy", so I'm trying to get info on the following things:

WITHOUT having to re-gear it, what kind of leveling kit, lift, etc can I put on it, and what size tires should I go with?

I don't want to put strain on the tranny, so how high and how big can I go without having to worry about my trans being wiped out 6 months after I do it?

I really appreciate the input ya'll! Thanks so much
Old 02-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

You can add a leveling kit, there are supposedly some newer 3" ones that will not hurt your front end suspension like the older ones. I had a 2.5" kit on my truck before adding the 6" suspension lift. With either the 2", 2.5" or 3" kit you'll be able to throw a set of 33's on there without having to worry about regearing. You'll either need to add a programmer to recalibrate your speedo and adjust your shift points or you can just have your dealership do it. May want to confirm that they can do it, but mine was going to charge me $80 to do mine after my lift. I went the programmer and custom tuning route though.

If you go anything higher than a leveling kit and 33's you're going to have ot regear. Hope this helps you out.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Ex Badge Bunny

Originally Posted by wxmcpo
You can add a leveling kit, there are supposedly some newer 3" ones that will not hurt your front end suspension like the older ones. I had a 2.5" kit on my truck before adding the 6" suspension lift. With either the 2", 2.5" or 3" kit you'll be able to throw a set of 33's on there without having to worry about regearing. You'll either need to add a programmer to recalibrate your speedo and adjust your shift points or you can just have your dealership do it. May want to confirm that they can do it, but mine was going to charge me $80 to do mine after my lift. I went the programmer and custom tuning route though.

If you go anything higher than a leveling kit and 33's you're going to have ot regear. Hope this helps you out.
thank you! how much will it throw off the speedometer if i go with the 33's and a level? I wonder if doing that kind of thing will void the warranty...?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my dealer told me that it won't void the warranty but you could have a hard time getting them to cover things that are related to the suspension, tranny etc if you start messing with the programming and putting on lifts and what not.

John
Old 02-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Ex Badge Bunny

Originally Posted by Dark Stone
my dealer told me that it won't void the warranty but you could have a hard time getting them to cover things that are related to the suspension, tranny etc if you start messing with the programming and putting on lifts and what not.

John
hmm... anyone who has done a level and 33's: have you had any problems with the trans, etc since you've put them on there??
Old 02-20-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno about 33s but I have a 5"RCD with 35s and fried my tranny... If you're gonna just put 33s on it I wouldnt level or lift it, just throw some C/Os on it, I think it would ride better and have better performance. I would recommend gear change because the 4r70 tranny SUCKS *****!!
Old 02-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Ex Badge Bunny

Originally Posted by tsho
I dunno about 33s but I have a 5"RCD with 35s and fried my tranny... If you're gonna just put 33s on it I wouldnt level or lift it, just throw some C/Os on it, I think it would ride better and have better performance. I would recommend gear change because the 4r70 tranny SUCKS *****!!
yikes, you might have to explain some of this to me... lol.
c/o's? what is that? also, i have the V8 4.6L engine... does that have the 4r70 trans in it?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:44 PM

Coilovers haha you could get away with just C/Os and a plus would be adding shocks...I would suggest searching NOT posting about f150 set ups on race-dezert.com theres tons of info there from performance to just for looks (which is gay) I have the 5.4L but i'm sure the trans is the same, I had 48k miles when it fried 2nd, 3rd and OD. Not much you can do about the trans, no point in building it IMO. BUT if you arent going to be doing to much off roadin you should be fine. My truck is 4wd (twice the price for gears than yours) and just ordered 4:56s for them and it cost just about 7hundo, not too bad considering my trans cost 1800 to rebuild (also got quoted at 3200) and that was getting a hook up! gears for 700 or later down the road trans for 2k + its your call...
Old 02-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Ex Badge Bunny

Originally Posted by tsho
Coilovers haha you could get away with just C/Os and a plus would be adding shocks...I would suggest searching NOT posting about f150 set ups on race-dezert.com theres tons of info there from performance to just for looks (which is gay) I have the 5.4L but i'm sure the trans is the same, I had 48k miles when it fried 2nd, 3rd and OD. Not much you can do about the trans, no point in building it IMO. BUT if you arent going to be doing to much off roadin you should be fine. My truck is 4wd (twice the price for gears than yours) and just ordered 4:56s for them and it cost just about 7hundo, not too bad considering my trans cost 1800 to rebuild (also got quoted at 3200) and that was getting a hook up! gears for 700 or later down the road trans for 2k + its your call...

hehe, c/o... shoulda known... lol. yeah, i'm not lookin' at doing any extreme off-roading or anything. that's what my f350 is for- pulling the toy-hauler to glamis and what not....
well hmm.... i'll have to look into the coilovers. and yes, i'm doing this all for looks... lol. it may be gay, but its a 2wd. what can ya do? lol... thanks so much
Old 02-20-2009, 07:46 PM

http://brenthelindustries.com/bajakits.asp?WPID=34
http://www.richerracing.com/Pages/Pr...TravelKit.html
http://www.dixonbrosracing.com/content/view/13/6/
http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/cart/CSSF72.html
http://ncdcustoms.com/html/ford.html
That is what you can do with 2WD, effin SICK!! just costs about 5k x more than what you wanna pay though !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm such a girl... anybody willing to throw out advice towards a lift?