Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Ignition Switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ignition Switch problem

Hi, new member here. '05 F150 4X4.

This morning the temp in Denver was 2 degrees F. Ignition key would not insert, even partially, until repeated jiggling under pressure. The key finally inserted fully, but would not turn on. Frozen solid. Door was open so chiming began. Tried spare key--no difference. Tried jiggling steering wheel -- frozen solid. Tried moving shift level (which is in Park) -- frozen solid. Removed key -- chime continues until door is closed. When trying to lock doors, they unlock immediately and automatically.

Called local Ford dealer. Service manager said bring it in, they'll look at it. But can't start it and can't tow it (I left it in 4WH last night--I assume a tow truck can't lift either end for towing, or even roll it up a ramp to flatbed it?!).

Maybe three people breathing in the cabin last night before parking it outside created enough humidity to freeze the ignition swith, but even if a hair dryer unfreezes it (my next step), that doesn't lend much confidence to my frequent snowshoeing trips deep into the Colorado backcountry. I need a permanent fix.

Any similar experiences? Ideas??

OK, I got it started. Ignition key had to be tried a hundred ways before it eventually switched on. Maybe warmer temps helped. But I can get it on only about one time in 20 tries. Will R&R the switch. Only 42,000 miles, too.

This is my third major (shutdown) problem with this truck in the last year (in the past 20k miles): (1) a defective fuel injector (warrantied), (2) R&R a starter, (3) now, a faulty ignition switch. I really want to love this truck. It has everything I need in a 4-wheeler but reliability.

I owned a couple dozen Japanese vehicles over the past 30 years without a single major mechanical. Did I move back to American too soon? Tell me, Oh, Ye Lifelong Ford Loyalists, since I hit the backroads at least once a week, how many times a year should I expect to be stranded in the puckerbrush with my trusty F150?

Made an appointment at Ford dealer to R & R my ignition switch. But when I started it to take to the dealer's, the ignition slicked right on. No jimmying and jinking the key like yesterday. Cancelled my appointment. Will let it ride a few days to see if the ignition switch glitches again. If so, I'll change it out. Meanwhile, seems my first impression was accurate that the switch was simply frozen. Never seen this before on a lock that was sheltered from the snow and ice. Must have been the humidity from three heavy breathers the night before.

Thanks to Thump and Ruprecht for your comments.

Last edited by Skyraider; 12-26-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Update
Old 12-24-2009, 04:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I live up along the divide about 3K' above Denver. We typically track about 10-15 degrees cooler. It was negative something or the other this morning. Can't say I've ever experienced this issue.

PS - welcome to the forum.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Btw.. my experience from winter backcountry camping.
* Make sure you have a full fuel tank and add some Heat
* Run a heavy, high quality winter mix of antifreeze
* Pack a small spray tube of lock de-icer
* Upgrade to an Optima battery (and even carry a spare batt in the truck if you're going really remote)
* Keep some extra food in the truck in case it doesn't start

Last time my brother and I snowshoe'd Caribou it was -22F during the night with sustained 100+ mph winds. My airmattress got so cold in the tent that the glue holding it together crystallized and it blew the seams. It may have gotten colder than -22F, but that's when the LCD display on his GPS froze and stopped working. Point is, most items, trucks included, weren't designed to deal with this without modifications.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to live in Edmonton and traveled up to the Territories to hunt. I always kept a couple extra chemical hand warmers to help with things like this. Never had an ignition freeze up, but I guess its possible. Try lubing it with some graphite before the cold months. I do this every so often to avoid busting a key in a lock.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch problem