Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2004 - 2008 Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
Turkey Slayer
 
MossyOak327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MossyOak327
Default ignition coils for 2005 FX4

I've had the #8 coil go out 2 weeks ago (bad vibration upon acceleration and at idle). Took it to the dealer to replace since I didn't initially know what was causing it. Now, it is doing the same thing again. I want to replace all coils and plugs. Can anyone direct me on how to do it? I know where they are located but dont know if I replace the coils if i will need to replace wires or anything else.

Thanks!
MossyOak327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
hummmmm
 
kickinit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Troyer performance for parts. How to, dont know hehe. I have never looked at my motor yet, cant be all that hard.
__________________
2004 F-150 FX4, 8inch lift, 20 KMC Rockstars, 37in Extreme Nitto Mudd grapplers, K&N cold air intake, Westin bull bar, Ford Option running boards, Bushwacker fender flares, X3 SCT tuner with custom tune, Single Stainless 3inch exhaust, Pioneer DVD/Navigation more to come...
kickinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
BIG D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: okeechobee, fla.
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

The coils are held down by one 7mm bolt,there are boots on each coil,you need to replace the boots if you are changing the coils and suggest replacing the spark plugs also,but beware of breaking a spark plug off as previous threads have discussed.I have done quite a few tune ups and coil replacments at my shop and have not had any plugs break off,yet !!
__________________
1987 F-150 XLT LARIAT,302 (installing 302 HO soon),AOD TRANS,K&N AIR,TRUE DUAL FLOWMASTER 2.5 STAINLESS TIPS,CLAIRION CD CHANGER,ALUM TOOL BOX,5% TINT,CLASS V HITCH,30-9.50-15 BRIDGESTONES PLUS MORE TO COME!
BIG D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
HarmsWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking

these are for the '04 5.4:

http://www.ground0.com/coil-r.pdf
http://www.ground0.com/coil-l.pdf
__________________
'04 FX4 Yellow S-cab flareside & loaded. Let's just say the mod bug bit me & I bit back...Just need the tunner and some tunes and maybe some wheels...
HarmsWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

What is the deal with the coils on these trucks? I have an '02 F150 w/5.4 and have had 2 coils go bad. I now have 120k on her. I was just on a trip deep into the middle of nowhere in Ontario Canada when a coil started acting up on me (3rd time). I was hoping to make it back to St. Paul, but boom...blew a plug right out of the head. Timing was bad as I was 'in the bush'...75 miles from any town...no cell phone reception anywhere in this area and nightfall approaching.

What kills me is that when I go into the Ford dealer (especially in winter) it seems like they have trucks lined up for this repair. Are the ignition coils built to deteriorate over time or what? When I talk to non-Ford owners they don't seem to know what the heck I am talking about because they have never had a 'coil' go bad. What is the deal? Other than the 'coils' it has been a great truck. Does Ford have a unique set up when it comes to 'coils'???
Rugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #6
Paint it black
5 Year Member
 
blackbetty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: washington dc
Posts: 2,649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blackbetty
Default

summit has oem, msd, and a few other brands for cheap
__________________
05 STX SuperCab 4.6L 4x4My truck build up link
Lightly modded 271.5/336.9 (sct)
blackbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
Ford/Mazda Parts guy
5 Year Member
 
djquik1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugs View Post
What is the deal with the coils on these trucks? I have an '02 F150 w/5.4 and have had 2 coils go bad. I now have 120k on her. I was just on a trip deep into the middle of nowhere in Ontario Canada when a coil started acting up on me (3rd time). I was hoping to make it back to St. Paul, but boom...blew a plug right out of the head. Timing was bad as I was 'in the bush'...75 miles from any town...no cell phone reception anywhere in this area and nightfall approaching.

What kills me is that when I go into the Ford dealer (especially in winter) it seems like they have trucks lined up for this repair. Are the ignition coils built to deteriorate over time or what? When I talk to non-Ford owners they don't seem to know what the heck I am talking about because they have never had a 'coil' go bad. What is the deal? Other than the 'coils' it has been a great truck. Does Ford have a unique set up when it comes to 'coils'???
That is the nature of the beast of a Coil on Plug set-up.I have had coils fail on my Mazda and they are of the same design.I swapped to the Sniper/Weapon X coils on my Mazda and love em.I noticed a big boost in power with just that.

GM vehicles equipped with the LS engines have the same problems with coil failure as well,don't let them fool you.


Now has anyone used the MSD coils or has anyone used say a Granetteli coil?


Here is something that might be interesting to try.

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...ay.php?gid=411
__________________
2010 F-150 CC (Harley Taillamps, ATC tonneau cover,DDM 5000k)
1990 F-150 RC (Russell Stainless brake lines, Taylor Thundervolt wires, MSD Coil, Cats removed 2.5" exhaust pipe)
2010 Milan(wife's) Corksport Strut Bar

Last edited by djquik1; 07-22-2008 at 11:37 AM.
djquik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #8
hummmmm
 
kickinit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djquik1 View Post
That is the nature of the beast of a Coil on Plug set-up.I have had coils fail on my Mazda and they are of the same design.I swapped to the Sniper/Weapon X coils on my Mazda and love em.I noticed a big boost in power with just that.

GM vehicles equipped with the LS engines have the same problems with coil failure as well,don't let them fool you.


Now has anyone used the MSD coils or has anyone used say a Granetteli coil?

Here is something that might be interesting to try.

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...ay.php?gid=411
What kind of mazda you keep talking about?
__________________
2004 F-150 FX4, 8inch lift, 20 KMC Rockstars, 37in Extreme Nitto Mudd grapplers, K&N cold air intake, Westin bull bar, Ford Option running boards, Bushwacker fender flares, X3 SCT tuner with custom tune, Single Stainless 3inch exhaust, Pioneer DVD/Navigation more to come...
kickinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #9
Ford/Mazda Parts guy
5 Year Member
 
djquik1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
What kind of mazda you keep talking about?
My Mazda 6.It has a Ford 3.0 Duratec in it with the addition of VVT.

Here is a pic

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.


I have done alot of mods to this car and have prototyped a few mods as well.
__________________
2010 F-150 CC (Harley Taillamps, ATC tonneau cover,DDM 5000k)
1990 F-150 RC (Russell Stainless brake lines, Taylor Thundervolt wires, MSD Coil, Cats removed 2.5" exhaust pipe)
2010 Milan(wife's) Corksport Strut Bar
djquik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #10
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djquik1 View Post
My Mazda 6.It has a Ford 3.0 Duratec in it with the addition of VVT.








I have done alot of mods to this car and have prototyped a few mods as well.

care to elaborate?
__________________
TURBO CHARGED!!!....Keep drooling, I'm spooling
luckythirteen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:29 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accel Ignition coils - Your opinion counts! GeorgiePorgie Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation 17 08-28-2008 08:52 PM
what coils will fit? KenHeehn3 1987 - 1996 F150 0 08-20-2008 12:30 AM
Replacing my ignition coils galaxypup12 1997 - 2003 Ford F150 11 08-18-2008 10:51 AM
Coils Rugs General F150 Discussion 12 07-23-2008 02:00 AM
Plug coils tmautner Engine / Drivetrain Talk 0 08-17-2007 08:51 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.