Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Ideas on blacking out my 08 XLT

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas on blacking out my 08 XLT

So far I have blacked the chrome on the bumpers, the grill, and I blacked out the tail lights but my dad said that he would go and personally remove the spray from the tail lights himself if I did not remove it. I am currently looking at getting Black halo projection headlights and I need a new idea about the tail lights since I am not allowed to black them out now apparently. Below are the pictures of the truck as it is now, the spray on the tail lights will be off tomorrow due to the threat of no insurance. I also blacked out the rims and left a small amount around the ford logo original. Any ideas about additional things to add to the truck would be appreciated, looking into getting running boards and maybe a cattle guard.
Attached Thumbnails Ideas on blacking out my 08 XLT-img_20130508_201542.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 06-03-2013, 11:46 PM

Received 151 Likes on 108 Posts

PTM the door/tailgate handles. Sure, they're already black, but PTM always looks nicer lol.

I've had those black projector headlights with halos from eBay on before. Sold them about a year later and moved on to retrofitted headlights. Look much better and perform much better.

I would suggest the Harley headlights to you, but those do leave the reflector bucket chrome, so that wouldn't exactly be "blacked out."

Get aftermarket tail lights or OEM Harley tail lights instead of tinting yours. I don't blame the insurance company on that part. I've had experience with people who have overdone tints on their lights and make it extremely dangerous to drive behind them.

Other than that, looks like you're done.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:58 PM

Thanks sda, as far as I am aware, the only reason that my parents want the lights back to normal is because they believe that you can't see the brake lights. I have tested them out during the day and at night and they are clearly visible when on along with the blinker and reverse light. I'll look into the headlights and I am currently looking at smoked LED tail lights to replace the stock. I am still somewhat for and somewhat against blacking out my truck, after I did my bumpers I talked with family and friends about if I should leave them black or go back to chrome and they said to stay black so I guess I'll go along with blacking the truck out in the process along with leveling it.

Last edited by That_Black_XLT; 06-04-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:04 AM

Received 151 Likes on 108 Posts

I know I've seen a couple of trucks with tinted led tail lights that light up just as bright as OEM lights not tinted, so maybe that's an idea for you?
Search for threads of aftermarket tail lights and see what others have put on. Helps you get an idea of what they'll look like better than just looking at the lights themselves.

Also, one thing I didn't mention in my first reply, how about painting or plasti dipping the side and tailgate emblems?
Old 06-04-2013, 12:13 AM

I plasti dipped the rear tailgate emblem, the bumpers, and the rims, I also dipped the front emblem and grill, I had some problems with the F150 emblems with texture and the spray got onto the paint around the area that I sprayed (That is the random flat black circle around the Ford logo on the tailgate)

Quick Reply: Ideas on blacking out my 08 XLT