Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

I went mudding

Old 06-09-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I went mudding

Okay so i went mudding in my truck in zhills Florida there is a place called rancho cucamongo, Its all mud holes all the time, so i went i took my truck and it did awesome the BFG's just ate it up and loved every bit of it. Being 2wd i did finally get stuck but people were amazed that a 2wd could do so well. Heres my situation now after all that mud, water, sand, and grime was washed off i still have a squealing coming from the front end (tensioner pulley, compressor pulley). Many people say that i have gotten sand in the pulleys and that i may need to replace them, Has anyone else ran into this and does this sound correct. Im open to suggestions as long as they don't include staying out of the mud. I have looked at it and i have the ability to loosen the fan belt and take it off to spin each pulley to see which one may be squealing but im stuck at the fan shroud what tools are needed to take the fan off to have more room to work.
Attached Thumbnails I went mudding-img_2616.jpg  
Old 06-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Received 1,681 Likes on 587 Posts

As for how to take it apart, I have no idea. I have not yet delved that far into my truck.

I will, however, congratulate you on getting her dirty. It's a good feeling to be surprized by a 2wd, isn't it? I had that pleasure not too long ago but unfortunately I am still running on the stock BFG Long Trails so I did not push it too much.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:05 AM

Received 184 Likes on 146 Posts

Truck looks good dirty lol! Sorry im not much help either with the fan.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Black 06 F150 SCab 4x4

The fan shroud is held in place at the bottom by sitting in two plastic holders. The top is held in place with 1 bolt on each side... just look at the top of the fan shroud under your radiator hose on hte passenger side and under the small metal line on the driver side. Once you remove those bolts you can take the radiator shroud off. Warning though, you will need to remove your clutch fan at the same time. That can be done with a single open end wrench and a clutch fan wrench (or really big adjusting wrench).

Also, don't try to pry the shroud out.. .just remove the upper radiator hose right when you are ready to pull the shroud out, then put it back once you have the shroud out. Then, do the reverse to reinstall everything. Make sure to refill your coolant. You should only lose 1/4 or a 1/2 gallon if you are quick.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:05 AM

I have had to replace 2 of my pulleys on my 05, one being an idler pulley and the other being the belt tensioner, both as a result of playing in the mud and I was able to change these with out removing the fan shroud.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Dark Overlord of Planet X

If it has a surpentine belt, can't you just pop the belt off and spin each pully without removing the fan? I can knock my belt off and spin every pulley. Mine is older and a much different setup though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I went mudding