Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

i think its the starter need help fast please

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i think its the starter need help fast please

i think my starter went bad i have less than 40000 miles on my truck the past few days ive heard a loud grinding noise when i go to turn my truck over and only when i go to turn it over.... well it started going away but it came back and now its really loud and my truck wont turn over at all i think its the starter or my battery isnt strong enough anymore to turn the truck over can yall give me a few ideas thanks
Old 11-06-2011, 07:00 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It's either the starter(most likely) or the flywheel(unlikely). tap the starter lightly with a hammer, should fire right up. Had the same thing with my other truck. It was great, crawling under to tap the starter so I could drive. I was too lazy to change it out.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:57 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

The first thing you need to check is the starter bolted tight to engine? it sounds like a starter drive gear or fly wheel [flex plate] ring gear not meshing properly could be damaged or the starter could be loose. you should pull the starter have it tested and check ring gear for damage while starter is off. Bubbabud 2011XLT SC Ecoboost
Old 11-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you ever changed the battery? I was always taught to change the cheapest thing first. Just a thought. I ran into a guy trying to take the starter out of his Titan, and I wound up just putting a battery in it. It was grinding, and wouldn't start. Battery was less than 2 years old, so he thought that it couldn't be that.... It was.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a flywheel to me. One way to find out..spin the motor manually either from the torque converter or crank bolt, I would say a good couple turns. Then start it and see what happened.. I was thinking a lot of teeth have been grinded off the flywheel.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it could be a lot of things. Take a jumper wire. And hook it straight to the starter. If that works then do a voltage drop test between the battery and the starter. If that test out ok that a volt meter and put it on your battery while trying o crank it and see howmany amps you have. It says on your battery how many cranking amps you should. have. If that test out ok then pull the starter and check the teeth and fly wheel ring gear. If they both look fine have your starter tested. And if you don't have a multimeter them this post will do you no good.

Quick Reply: i think its the starter need help fast please