Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

I need help! Misfire No power sounds rough.!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 10:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I need help! Misfire No power sounds rough.!

I got a 04 f150 5.4 3v was running great! After making a stop at a store I got back in my truck and it was misfiring. And would turn off when I let go of the gas. Got the spark plugs replaced. And heads replaced. My mechanic thought it was a computer problem. He ended up sending it to the ford dealer. The dealer told me I needed a new motor. But I don't see how? If it runs still. Never smoked or anything. It's just real rough and has no power. I later on opened the value covers and found that the timing chain was loose. So I replaced the timing. And it sounds better but sounds like it might be miss timed or misfiring still.. It does not sound as loud as it was before.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:59 PM

The dealer said it had a low oil pressure leak. Which it said low oil pressure. After I added more oil and changed the timing the oil light turned off.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:01 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,624 Likes on 6,214 Posts

If you replaced the timing, were the phasers and VCT solenoids replaced as well as the oil pan dropped and the pick-up tube screen cleaned off? All that should have been done with timing, and only with OEM Ford parts. Your mechanic should have known all this.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:06 PM

Phasers and vct were not replaced. But the pan was dropped and cleaned and also the screen we clean.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:11 PM

Just thought I ask do you know if it's the motor I need to replace. If the ford dealership said to replace the motor?
Old 01-16-2016, 11:19 PM

Received 534 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboynatedog
Just thought I ask do you know if it's the motor I need to replace. If the ford dealership said to replace the motor?
Sounds like the motor should be fine if it's got new heads.. With new heads are you sure you didn't get new phasers? Most people would swap out phasers when swapping heads..

Maybe some more good general info on what's going on would help answer that question.

What was really replaced for parts? A list might help.
Did the truck go from idling one day to just dying and having hard start issues?
How's it running now compared to before?
The following users liked this post:
cowboynatedog (01-17-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 11:37 PM

The spark plugs and heads were replaced and also the timing set including the guides and tensioners and the oil pump. Phasers were not replaced. And it was completely out of the blue it was running perfect I wouldn't have thought anything was wrong with it. I had got it from a used dealership. With 88,000 miles on it. I had drove it for 33 days. And on the 33rd day I stopped at the store and turned the truck off. Went in the store came back out turned it on. And it was shaking really bad. So I got it towed to the dealership and they would not do anything. So I towed it to my mechanic got the spark plugs changed and the head because they broke inside the special tool to take them out would not work. Later on my mechanic thought the computer was bad. So he sent it to the ford dealership and they said it needed a new motor and was gonna cost me 8,000. I didn't have the money. So I let it sit for a year. And have been paying on a truck that does not run. So I later turned the truck on and looked up more stuff and turned out the timing guides were broken. So I replaced it the guides and everything that comes with the set. And the oil pump. Turned it on and it sounds a lot better. Just has a knocking noise and dies out when you press the gas and let go. But if you turn it and and let it sit. It stays on. Just sounds like it's knocking. And shaking a little bit.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Especial86
Sounds like the motor should be fine if it's got new heads.. With new heads are you sure you didn't get new phasers? Most people would swap out phasers when swapping heads.. Maybe some more good general info on what's going on would help answer that question. What was really replaced for parts? A list might help. Did the truck go from idling one day to just dying and having hard start issues? How's it running now compared to before?
Old 01-17-2016, 12:01 AM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Take it out on the garage floor and go thru that motor. Make it right_or left.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:14 AM

Received 534 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboynatedog
The spark plugs and heads were replaced and also the timing set including the guides and tensioners and the oil pump. Phasers were not replaced. And it was completely out of the blue it was running perfect I wouldn't have thought anything was wrong with it. I had got it from a used dealership. With 88,000 miles on it. I had drove it for 33 days. And on the 33rd day I stopped at the store and turned the truck off. Went in the store came back out turned it on. And it was shaking really bad. So I got it towed to the dealership and they would not do anything. So I towed it to my mechanic got the spark plugs changed and the head because they broke inside the special tool to take them out would not work. Later on my mechanic thought the computer was bad. So he sent it to the ford dealership and they said it needed a new motor and was gonna cost me 8,000. I didn't have the money. So I let it sit for a year. And have been paying on a truck that does not run. So I later turned the truck on and looked up more stuff and turned out the timing guides were broken. So I replaced it the guides and everything that comes with the set. And the oil pump. Turned it on and it sounds a lot better. Just has a knocking noise and dies out when you press the gas and let go. But if you turn it and and let it sit. It stays on. Just sounds like it's knocking. And shaking a little bit.
Could be a vaccum leak somewhere.. A hose or maybe a bad seal or crack on the intake manifold..
Is it doing any surging?

Are the coil packs new?

Quick Reply: I need help! Misfire No power sounds rough.!