Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

I need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:39 PM
11C Mortars Are Hung

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need Help!

I have a 2006 F150 5.4L 4D 4x4, My sh*t keeps dieing on me and I have good coneection to the battery, and my battery guage on the dash says I'm right in the middle(good or bad.. I don't know).. it might be my altenator.. any suggestions? I have to jump it after only 40 mins.. EVERYTIME I get in it almost.. it has to be jumped! PLEASE HELP! its embarrassing to have a nice truck to ask for a jump!
Old 05-12-2009, 05:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if the altenator went it would die and that would be it.
i would say to start with a new battery if you are jumping it and it starts its mostlikely a weak battery once the truck is running it keeps a charge on the battery until u shut it off but im sure someone else will chime in with more suggestions!!
Old 05-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

There are 3 fusible links that are used to protect the circuit between the battery and the alternator that may be your culprit. If one of these has melted, the alternator does not charge the battery. These fusible links are located under the hood, near the battery, under a plastic cover. Usually you cannot replace just one, but rather all three, as they come from a parts store (or Ford) that way. They act just like a fuse; if the circuit is over drawn, the fusible link melts like a fuse would.

Use an ohm meter to check.

It may be the battery. You could have one or more bad cells; they take a charge, but drain quickly thereafter. Most shops and auto stores will do a free battery and alternater charge test in their parking lot. You do not have to remove neither. Have this freeby test done first before checking the fusible links.