Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

hypertech programmer

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hypertech programmer

hey all.. i just bought a 2006 fx4 with the 5.4 in it.. i ordered an Airaid throttle body spacer and a hypertech programmer for it so far. Has anyone had the experience with these two up grades but i'm mostly concerned about the programmer.. is it a good one and will i notice a difference with it.. thanks
Old 11-13-2008, 08:11 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Cancel the order for the Hypertech... it's not worth the plastic it comes in. You should do a search for programmers on here. Most agree to either get an Xcal with custom tunes done by Troyer Performance or VMP tunes, or get a Gyphon with custom tunes from Bill @ PHP.

I wasted my money on a Hypertech once and will not recommend them. I ened up selling mine on ebay two months after getting it.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:48 PM

i agree and im pretty sure 99% of people will say the same. get either one of the ones stated above. i personally ordered the sct from troyerperformance. the spacer is also nothing more than a paperweight. my neighbor had one on his truck and gained 0 hp and did not feel any difference.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Hypertech.

Just as white said...get one of the SCT tuners custom done or the Gryphon from PHP.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:44 PM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by SinCityFX4
Hypertech.

Just as white said...get one of the SCT tuners custom done or the Gryphon from PHP.
what is wrong with the hypertech... i mean what are its flaws?
Old 11-14-2008, 08:06 PM
08 February TOTM

Originally Posted by raptor888
what is wrong with the hypertech... i mean what are its flaws?
I have owned a few programmers now and Hypertech is the worst in any noticeable difference. Edge was way better but I had a problem with torque converter cycling using level 3. My truck's pcm got reflashed by my dealer and Edge sent me out a brand new unit to replace my original unite because the LCD screen stated to get burn marks in it. The new unit wasn't even powering up at first but with the help from Edge and updating the new unit they sent me it worked... but I still had other issues with it. It wasn't shifting out of second gear under WOT. It appears that Edge's programming didn't like my truck anymore since it was reflashed. I sold it and bought an Xcal-3 from Troyer Performance and later went done to see Mike to get my truck dyno tuned what a difference! I just bought a Gyphon so I could get the gauges back that the edge gave me when I had it. I am trying these tunes in my truck right now... just the can tunes it comes with and I have to say these as far as can tunes are the best I've had a chance to try. They don't have as much power as my Troyer tunes but it does actually shift great and I don't see any noise dives when punching the accelerator in the 40mph range like I do with my Troyer tunes. The Edge I had did this as well.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:13 PM

what are the gains that the sct give u and does let u monitor ur gauges and change the shift points and stuff as well?
Old 11-14-2008, 08:15 PM

My Volant CAI and my Hypertech work just fine for my needs. I get great throttle response and good gas mileage.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:20 PM
08 February TOTM

Originally Posted by raptor888
what are the gains that the sct give u and does let u monitor ur gauges and change the shift points and stuff as well?
Look at the link in my siggy. At the bottom of my post you can see my dyno sheet. I have the Xcal3, it dosen't have a monitor like Edge/Gryphon does. If you want this in an SCT programmer you would have to buy the Livewire. I almost did... but changed my mind and got the Xcal3 instead. The tunning capability's are the same with either of them, or the Xcal2 for that matter.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:23 PM
08 February TOTM

Originally Posted by Montano
My Volant CAI and my Hypertech work just fine for my needs. I get great throttle response and good gas mileage.
If you've never tried anything else you have no real way of knowing how good something really is or isn't.

I used a Hypertech in my 02 and it was great but Hypertech really falls behind when it comes to the 04+ generation

Quick Reply: hypertech programmer