Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

hubs are screaming once and awhile

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 05:31 PM
01 f150 4x4 v6 5 speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hubs are screaming once and awhile

i was driving like 200 miles from my house all of a sudden my truck like clicked almost like it was going in 4x4 and it started making a realy loud grinding noise i slowed down and pulled to the side of the road it clicked and stopped so i started driving again about 10 min later it started again i was more than pissed off at this point 19000 miles and i have to worry about going on road trips i flipped the switch into 4x4 it stopped put it back in 2wd it stayed off then on my way home it did it again now i was realy pissed off so i pulled over it stopped again and hasnt done it since now im worried about driving this p.o.s. far my 96 f150 302 had 256k on it when i sold it and i never felt i couldnt drive it anywear now does anyone have any idea what it could be im hoping it lasts till summer so i can start driving my 89 mustang full time and put this in the corner
Old 01-25-2010, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have an 06 which did the same thing at about 28,000mi. For my truck I found a service bulletin that said some trucks have a vacuum leak in their system which tries to engage the 4x4. If it's under warranty, which mine was, they not only fixed the leak but replaced both hubs up front.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:52 PM
01 f150 4x4 v6 5 speed

took it to the dealer today they wont fix it unless it does it when they have it they burnt up a half a tank of gas and did nothing it hasnt done it in a few days i told them that they said to drop it off again and theyll keep trying i told them what to do it dont coast them nothing to just fix it its under warrenty so i suposed to drop it off again and go another day with no ride for 400 bucks a month i could get a taxi service everyday realy getting sick of this p.o.s. wish i could go back in time and not buy it
Old 01-26-2010, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by droptopfox
took it to the dealer today they wont fix it unless it does it when they have it they burnt up a half a tank of gas and did nothing it hasnt done it in a few days i told them that they said to drop it off again and theyll keep trying i told them what to do it dont coast them nothing to just fix it its under warrenty so i suposed to drop it off again and go another day with no ride for 400 bucks a month i could get a taxi service everyday realy getting sick of this p.o.s. wish i could go back in time and not buy it
there ya go! have one problem and say its a pos and sell it!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a pretty minor problem. If you dont get it fixed, you could have bigger problems. Like burning out the hubs. I was talking to someone the other day that had an 04 with 4X4 problems. Seemed like everytime he got on the gas in fourwheel drive, the hubs wouldnt lock and the splines would strip out. Dealership told him it was his leveling kit causing the problem, but this was the 4th time its happened. Took it in last week, and they told him his warranty is expired(not at the dealership i work at btw), and they cant fix it for free. He told them that this is the fourth time its happened, and they still cant get it fixed. Guess he went home, and found a vacuum line was cracked. Now his fourwheel drive is working, but has to still replace the hubs. He's pretty sure it will work good now.
My point is, the vacuum lines can be a simple fix, but if you wait too long, it could be an expensive one.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:32 AM
01 f150 4x4 v6 5 speed

hey dont give me the 1 problem crap ive taken it to the dealer twice for this problem so theres 2 days with out it and 3 time for other crap i own a buisness and i need a truck,and i go on long road trips with my car trailer and this is a serous problem its loud and bad i cant afford to have the truck and my trailer towed when it breaks down it has 19k miles on it i think it should go the 80-90k before it has a problem atleast other than maintainance and now all of my buddies trucks this body style have all blown the trannies before they had 100k on them im just venting and with my luck so far im just worried my warrenty will run out before it goes and its on the side of the road 200 miles away from my house and i cant sell it i owe way to much on it
Old 01-28-2010, 03:07 AM

my truck was doing the same thing, i replaced the 4x4 vaccum solenoid behind the battery, and have not had a problem since, that was over 2 months ago and fine ever since.

the part is around 40 bucks i think and you can change it in ten mins
Old 01-28-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by bikerboy
my truck was doing the same thing, i replaced the 4x4 vaccum solenoid behind the battery, and have not had a problem since, that was over 2 months ago and fine ever since.

the part is around 40 bucks i think and you can change it in ten mins
My 06 FX4 was doing the same thing. I think I've determined that it happens after a heavy rain (all day) and has a day to dry out. I'm getting the oil changed this weekend and will talk to the dealership about ordering the replacement solenoid with the plastic cover to prevent water from hitting it...Hopefully that will solve the problem.

I understand your frustration. I bought mine just back in August with 41,000 miles and have already replaced the cam phasers and now having to fix this 4x4 problem...good thing I bought the extended warranty.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

sounds like what was stated above the solenoid, if you already have the redisgned one with the hood, then i would suspect a vaccum leak, make them do a vaccum test, i think thats what it is, if they wont say screw them and go to another dealer and never buy another vehicle from them again, they make all their money of servicing cars anyhow
Old 01-28-2010, 04:46 PM
01 f150 4x4 v6 5 speed

okay i started this post when i was pissed now im likeing my truck again it hasnt doen it in days im just worried about it doing it again i didnt buy the truck where its being serviced the place i bought it from best ford in nashua new hampshire treated me like **** when it needed a head light switch and theyll never get my buissness again so now i deal with townsend ford there nice people they just wont fix it unless it does it the only problem that realy pissing me off about them is i told them what to check and all they want to do is drive it till it does it again they burnt a tank of gas in a day and wanted me to fill it and bring it back the only other dealer is mathuies and they treated my buddy like **** and ripped him off on his 04 so now i dont know what to do and townsends the only one that does loaner cars while they fix them

Quick Reply: hubs are screaming once and awhile