Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

How to time a 5.4 2004 triton

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to time a 5.4 2004 triton

I have read the threads where you line the crank at 12, align new chain with dot on the bottom of crank then put the other marks on either the L or the R on the Phasers. what do I do if they don't line up. it was idling ruff when I cut it off then when I pulled the cover the engine light was on giving a p022 code, the new chains don't line up, ( I cant just move the cam phasers, NEW ONES to match the marks.) do I have to compress the rocker arms 3 per side and rotate the cam phasers to meet the marks on the chain. I called the dealership today and the tech in charge said he didn't want anypart of a motor I had already removed the spark plugs and covers, that basically he would charge me 2000 because he would start from scratch. Everythread explains how to install the chains if its in perfect timing already, how do I get it back in time if I cant move the cam phasers independent of the crank? please help I haven't slept in weeks worring that I may have damaged valves on a 10,000 mile rebuilt engine that was 3200 just over a year ago. I need to do this one my self I am a disabled vet and live on a limited income. thanks. any help you can also contact me by email, browneasley@aol.com

Last edited by Neil Brown; 06-10-2015 at 07:23 PM. Reason: adding my email
Old 06-10-2015, 08:50 PM

Received 251 Likes on 213 Posts

Once you have the harmonic balancer with the timing mark in the correct position, look at the cam lobes, (pic is in my album under my profile). If they are facing the opposite direction, rotate the crank a full turn again until the timing mark lines up, check the cam lobes again. Bottom line is get the crank timing mark in the correct position, make sure the cam lobes are facing the right direction, take a paint marker and mark the cam and the cam holders so that you make sure they are lined up and the same when done. By this time, the phasers should be right. Put one of your chains on with the 1 colored link lined up at the crank, put the phaser with the arrow in between the 2 colored links and put on the end of the cam. You may have to put a pair of vice grips on a non-journaled part of the cam so that you can turn it slightly to get the phaser all the way on the cam. Do the other side the same way. Once you get the tensioners and guides on, remove the clips that hold the tensioner plunger in. Then take a socket and rotate the crank a couple full rotations so that you can make sure that there is no valve to piston contact and that everything turns smoothly. Torque everything down and put it back together. Good luck, take your time.
I will email this to you as well.
Tom

Quick Reply: How to time a 5.4 2004 triton