Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

How to Tell if Cam Phasers are Bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 12:43 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Default How to Tell if Cam Phasers are Bad

Okay so like the title states I'm curious how to tell if they're bad in a more concrete way than a noise without pulling the cover or if that's even possible. I'd hate to think it was the phasers, replace them, and it's just the VCT solenoids or injector noise. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-29-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Mine ticks under acceleration on the driver side so I replaced the VCT and it's still ticking, if not louder than before
Old 04-29-2014, 02:30 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I am not a mechanic and have not done these repairs, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I am only conveying what I have been told by mechanics and other Ford guys who love their trucks.

Replacing a VCT solenoid with a bad cam phaser still in the truck will likely put more pressure into the system since the old VCT was most likely damaged by the bad cam phaser in the first place. This also means your new VCT will more than likely be damaged in the same manner after a while. There's also no moving parts in a VCT solenoid, so the ticking is definitely not coming from that.

Really far gone cam phasers can destroy a VCT, causing the timing of the engine to be so far gone it doesn't even idle (or start) once it gets warm and the system goes out of "warmup" mode, so watch out for changing a potentially bad VCT and not changing the associated cam phaser.

As for diagnosis, you can notice a slight hiccup that feels like a miss sometimes when trying to get up and go. On my truck it was noticeable mostly at freeway speeds when trying to pass going 50mph and trying to get back up to speed. It can also cause a tick although nobody has ever explained to me what causes it past telling me that it's caused by the alignment pins on the cam phasers getting bent.

Maybe a real mechanic can come along and give you some more insight but I hope I at least helped a little.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cutless009:
Invictus2 (01-17-2022), tareed94 (04-30-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 03:36 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bourgeois1269
Mine ticks under acceleration on the driver side so I replaced the VCT and it's still ticking, if not louder than before
Check out your exhaust manifold to see if any of the bolt studs have snapped.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:02 PM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for that helpful info cutless009, I've never seen the inside nor have ever worked on the inside of an engine.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:52 AM
Texas A&M Aggie

Originally Posted by Cutless009
I am not a mechanic and have not done these repairs, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I am only conveying what I have been told by mechanics and other Ford guys who love their trucks.

Replacing a VCT solenoid with a bad cam phaser still in the truck will likely put more pressure into the system since the old VCT was most likely damaged by the bad cam phaser in the first place. This also means your new VCT will more than likely be damaged in the same manner after a while. There's also no moving parts in a VCT solenoid, so the ticking is definitely not coming from that.

Really far gone cam phasers can destroy a VCT, causing the timing of the engine to be so far gone it doesn't even idle (or start) once it gets warm and the system goes out of "warmup" mode, so watch out for changing a potentially bad VCT and not changing the associated cam phaser.

As for diagnosis, you can notice a slight hiccup that feels like a miss sometimes when trying to get up and go. On my truck it was noticeable mostly at freeway speeds when trying to pass going 50mph and trying to get back up to speed. It can also cause a tick although nobody has ever explained to me what causes it past telling me that it's caused by the alignment pins on the cam phasers getting bent.

Maybe a real mechanic can come along and give you some more insight but I hope I at least helped a little.
Even if it's wrong it sounds legitimate. I've got the tick which is really annoying when driving with the windows down, or going through a drive-thru. One of my friends did his not too long ago and told me to do the guides, chains, and tensioners too because his tensioner seals were gone and the guides were broke in half. He had 115K on his, mine has a little over 150K so I figure mine probably needs it.

Does anyone know if the guides and tensioners are more durable in the 07's than the 04's? I remember reading somewhere that Ford redesigned the phasers in 06 I believe so I'm not sure if they did everything or not.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:30 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tareed94
Even if it's wrong it sounds legitimate. I've got the tick which is really annoying when driving with the windows down, or going through a drive-thru. One of my friends did his not too long ago and told me to do the guides, chains, and tensioners too because his tensioner seals were gone and the guides were broke in half. He had 115K on his, mine has a little over 150K so I figure mine probably needs it.

Does anyone know if the guides and tensioners are more durable in the 07's than the 04's? I remember reading somewhere that Ford redesigned the phasers in 06 I believe so I'm not sure if they did everything or not.
My truck also had a really loud tick, especially under light throttle (like going through a drive-through). The sound turned out to be from one of the plastic guides being broken and making contact with the chain due to wear on the chain tensioners allowing the chain to hit it repeatedly, breaking it. It also made my truck sound like their were marbles in the engine during cold startup due to the chain hitting the broken pieces of guides and tensioners sitting in the bottom of the front housing.

As for the redesign I'm honestly clueless. I know when I had my truck repaired the parts that went back in here exactly the same as the ones that came out of the truck. I would assume from this experience that there is not a "better" redesigned part to be had. That or the shop was incompetent, which is entirely possible considering it was a dealership.

To better understand the cam phaser and VCT system, check out this video. It's for a DOHC Inline 4, but the principle and functionality are the same for our trucks, we just only have one cam, so one VCT and cam phaser per bank.

The following users liked this post:
VendettaWolf13 (05-19-2023)
Old 04-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Originally Posted by Cutless009
My truck also had a really loud tick, especially under light throttle (like going through a drive-through). The sound turned out to be from one of the plastic guides being broken and making contact with the chain due to wear on the chain tensioners allowing the chain to hit it repeatedly, breaking it. It also made my truck sound like their were marbles in the engine during cold startup due to the chain hitting the broken pieces of guides and tensioners sitting in the bottom of the front housing.

As for the redesign I'm honestly clueless. I know when I had my truck repaired the parts that went back in here exactly the same as the ones that came out of the truck. I would assume from this experience that there is not a "better" redesigned part to be had. That or the shop was incompetent, which is entirely possible considering it was a dealership.

To better understand the cam phaser and VCT system, check out this video. It's for a DOHC Inline 4, but the principle and functionality are the same for our trucks, we just only have one cam, so one VCT and cam phaser per bank.

Ford 1,6L Duratec 16V Ti-VCT Engine - YouTube
I'm familiar with the rattle/marbles sound on cold starts. Guess I'll be doing tensioners, guides, and the chains just to be thorough. That was a very informative video. Definitely makes it easier to understand what is going on.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:42 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Try this...

On this system, when the PCM sends the PWM signal of 0%, or simply off, the spool valve is moved so that the oil is allowed to fully advance the timing. On this system, fully advanced is simply normal or rather no change to the timing. As the PCM sends a PWM signal of more than 0%, the spool valve moves and starts to allow the pressure to equalize between the advance and retard sides of the phaser. At a PWM signal of 50%, the valve is in the neutral position, neither allowing oil to drain or pressurize either side of the phaser. The PCM has it essentially locked into holding wherever it currently is. As the PWM signal increases further, cam timing retards.

Simply unplugging the VCT solenoid will default the spool valve in the fully advanced position. If there are any detected faults in the system, the PCM will keep the solenoid off so the phaser stays in the default position. The locking pins are prone to failure and unintentionally allow the camshaft sprocket to rotate separately from the chain when not currently in active use. As the camshaft turns, it fights against the valve spring force causing the phaser to jump back and forth at lower RPMs. This causes a rattle. These excessive forces on the chain could also lead to timing tensioner, chain, or guide failure.

This fight of tension is why heavier oils 5w-30 can soften the clacking of the phaser slapping its veins back and forth.
The following 3 users liked this post by Especial86:
Cecil Boyd (09-29-2020), F150Torqued (12-19-2021), Umbertof150 (02-07-2022)
Old 08-25-2019, 09:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tareed94
Okay so like the title states I'm curious how to tell if they're bad in a more concrete way than a noise without pulling the cover or if that's even possible. I'd hate to think it was the phasers, replace them, and it's just the VCT solenoids or injector noise. Anyone have any suggestions?
I have done so much work on the engine of a 2008 5.4 triton and have a lot of the answers I think that people are asking on these posts. Through trial and error I have figured most of this engine out. I doubt very much that it is your phasers ticking. If you open up the valve cover you will probably see a rocker arm that is loose and torn up the center bearing in it. They are about $6 each and just get the ford 5.4 valve spring compressor it’s very easy to remove and replace without removing the camshaft. If your truck if getting warm then stalling when you go to park it and reviving it up makes it go away then that is your vct solenoid. It will give back horsepower, fuel mileage, and just run a lot better if you replace them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Keith1221:
09truck (03-06-2021), Invictus2 (01-17-2022)

Quick Reply: How to Tell if Cam Phasers are Bad