Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

How scared should I be to change the sparkplugs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How scared should I be to change the sparkplugs?

I just bought an 05 f150 lariat with 94k miles from an auction a couple months ago and I want to do a full tuneup on it because I have no idea when it was last done, if ever. I've been reading a lot of posts saying that the spark plugs in these trucks are very easy to break off and could be very costly to repair. I'm just not sure how worried I should be. Is it recommended I change the sparkplugs at 94k anyway?
Old 10-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Sideways :-)

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

itll blow up!
Old 10-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Sideways :-)

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

nah but really just pull the old ones out check their codnition and make sure to gap the new ones right. ***make sure to use anti-sieze and only hand tighten*** dont crank on them like crazy cause theres only so much thread and its aluminum. use dialectric grease on the coil ends and you should be good. if you do happen to strip one of the threads out you can heli-coil it its just better if you dont strip them out.

**hand tighten not super tight**
Old 10-02-2010, 02:59 PM
VanoFord2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98blue54
nah but really just pull the old ones out check their codnition and make sure to gap the new ones right. ***make sure to use anti-sieze and only hand tighten*** dont crank on them like crazy cause theres only so much thread and its aluminum. use dialectric grease on the coil ends and you should be good. if you do happen to strip one of the threads out you can heli-coil it its just better if you dont strip them out.

**hand tighten not super tight**
You cant gap the 04's -08's.There an enclosed head.Your generation trucks you can gap them and there one piece plugs,He is referring to our 2 piece plugs that are basically crimped together.

Some advice to the OP.I did my own.# 7 plug did break off.Have the tool that is made for the plugs encase they break off.Use some penetrating liquid(i used Pb blaster for mine)to loosen them up.Let sit for about an hour.Then begin to loosen them,if you hear some squealing,back the wrench off real slowly and then proceed again.Make sure to anti seize like Blue says to.

There are some ford TSB's on how to effectively change the plugs,but just remember,no plan is ever full proof.So take your time,and have a 6pack on hand and just have Patience.Good luck man.

Check this out.This will help ya also
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...VMxmGtvs01omxg
^^ Page isnt working,just do a google search or a youtube.com search for helpfull hits on changeing the plugs.See the sticky on the Engine plugs date builds.Will give you allot of info

hey blue,how many miles you got on that beast of your's?

Last edited by Skull31; 10-02-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You better get the Lisle tool 65600, I did mine and 5 out of 8 broke. 2004 FX4 with 75k miles. You should read the thread about broken plugs. I hated doing mine but dealer wanted up to $1200 to replace them.

Quick Reply: How scared should I be to change the sparkplugs?