Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

How to remove ac evaporator? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 01:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default How to remove ac evaporator? HELP

Last summer I replaced my a/c compressor, drier, and orifice after my a/c compressor went out. I went and had the thing vacuumed down and filled with freon, and man that thing was ICE COLD. After a few weeks I couldn't tell if the temperature getting hotter had made the a/c less responsive or if it was leaking freon. So, I took it back in to the shop and sure enough it was down to 1lb of freon. They told me the reason it was leaking was because there were no caps on the high and low pressure ports, so they filled me back up and sent me to the local o'reilly's to buy some caps (I thought this was strange myself, but I am not a mechanic so I trusted them). Back to cold a/c I thought I was set, until a few weeks later I was back to mediocre cooling. I took it back up there and sure enough all of the freon had leaked back out. So they looked over my whole truck and "couldn't find any leaks." With winter coming on I had no need for a/c so this project got put on the back burner until now. I took my truck back up to the shop two days ago, and they still didn't see any leaks anywhere. They then told me that the evaporator core must be leaking. I found that a little strange as it didn't leak before I replaced everything else? I have scoured google as well as many forums and youtube, but I cannot find instructions on removing the dash in our year model trucks, only 97-03 and earlier. Does anyone have a link to some help or know how to get at this themselves?

Truck is an 08 STX 4x4 4.6l

any help would be greatly appreciated! as well as any other thoughts about this!
Old 03-03-2016, 04:30 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 339 Likes on 253 Posts

I've removed the entire dash in a 2006 F150 to get to the mode door.

I used the instructions in the Hayne's manual, which you can get at any auto store. It was pretty straight forward just had to follow the steps in order because lots of stuff has to come off(Steering wheel, gauges, center console, radio, HVAC controls, tons of plastic panels, etc.)
Old 03-03-2016, 05:05 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Schrader valves are not supposed to leak... With or without caps. I know the low side valve can be changed, but I believe the high line has to be replaced to get a new valve. What are they basing their diagnosis on? Did they inject dye in the system?

I'd recommend a second opinion by a different shop if you're not confident with your abilities to self diagnose.

Last edited by nrivera04; 03-03-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by nrivera04
Schrader valves are not supposed to leak... With or without caps. I know the low side valve can be changed, but I believe the high line has to be replaced to get a new valve. What are they basing their diagnosis on? Did they inject dye in the system?

I'd recommend a second opinion by a different shop if you're not confident with your abilities to self diagnose.
Yes they did put dye in the system and I watched them go over the under side of the truck as well as under the hood with a UV light. Honestly I do believe them that they couldn't find the leak around the external components of the a/c system, since they won't even do the job themselves I can be sure they aren't just trying to make money off of me in this case.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by ReaperHWK
I've removed the entire dash in a 2006 F150 to get to the mode door.

I used the instructions in the Hayne's manual, which you can get at any auto store. It was pretty straight forward just had to follow the steps in order because lots of stuff has to come off(Steering wheel, gauges, center console, radio, HVAC controls, tons of plastic panels, etc.)
Roughly how long did it take you??
Old 03-04-2016, 08:58 AM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 339 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by jb2012
Roughly how long did it take you??
Being that it was my first time, and I'm generally slow/careful with all the work I do because I don't want to break anything, especially all those plastic panels.

It took me about 8 hours to take it apart, and maybe 4 hours to put it back together.

If I had to do it again, I'd say 4hours to take it apart.

Brian
Old 03-04-2016, 09:41 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

The A/C system is a sealed system.. it has to be leaking somewhere to drop a pound of Freon. and agree with Nrivera... Schrader valves are not supposed to leak. the caps are there to keep contaminates out.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
The A/C system is a sealed system.. it has to be leaking somewhere to drop a pound of Freon. and agree with Nrivera... Schrader valves are not supposed to leak. the caps are there to keep contaminates out.
You've been a big help to me before, any advice? Any ideas?

Quick Reply: How to remove ac evaporator? HELP