Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

How much is too much??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question How much is too much??

A recent post in another thread showing a truck with $80,000 invested in it got me thinking... How much is too much? Please share your thoughts.
I understand this is a free country and we can each spend what we want on our rigs, but I wonder if it becomes an obsession, bordering on mental illness for some guys.
What do you think when Bigfoot pulls up next to you at a light? "This guy is insane"? or "Oh man I want that!" ??
My truck is a daily driver and I enjoy doing the occasional mod. My emphasis is on reliability, and fitting it to my modest needs. I have a Jeep XJ for off-roading so I don't see a need for 44" boggers with a 12" lift on my daily-driver/work truck.
No offense intended to the fella with the trust fund or winning lottery ticket, nor envy. Just curious what kind of feedback I might get to this thread.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:20 PM
December 2009 TOTM!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

It all depends. I've seen some of the sickest decked out Jeeps and trucks for offroading, probably a good 50k invested but have never seen dirt.

But I've also seen some major modded Jeeps and trucks that are used offroad. If they actually use the truck, no matter how much is invested I say, "Rock on!". But if I see a vehical all modded to hell and isn't even used... I think, "What a tool". lol. Usually just a mall crawler or used to take their quads to the dunes, but they don't actually use the truck.

Today I seen a Chevy Duracrap with what looked like a 8" Rize lift and 38" tires pulling a like 26" toyhauler.. that seems a little overboard. Just because I highly doubt they use the truck offroad, why do they need it that high? They use it to tow, why not level it? Or a small lift and mods for performance.

But, that's my opinion, it's their money, their truck, they do what they want. It's just like a lifted 2wd truck... WHY? In my opinion it's pretty silly.. Especially if you offroad because to me a truck is worthless offroad without 4wd. But to some people they don't think they need 4wd and well that's their opinion and their money.

Last edited by AZFX4; 01-23-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:48 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

depends on if you can afford it or not. if u make 100 grand + a year, single, etc. then 80k for a truck, I guess go for it.

me, on the other hand, am sick I put 3k down & still have 28k loan.

if I would have made this thing a total plain jane, then might have saved a couple grand (a basic scab 4x4 is still 25-26k????).

perception & income I guess!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your truck looks better than your house and has more mods than your wife, then you need to rethink your choices... If you don't think thats funny then there is something wrong with you!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Fords For Life

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I am more into reliability and performance with my mods. Looks are a part of it too. Like I am going to put about a 6 inch lift on it but I only do the occasional off road. I like too but it is also my daily driver so I dont want to beat it to hell. But I also want it to look good. So If you want to jack up a truck and never take it off road that is fine. A complete waste of money yeah but it is your truck and you should be happy with it no matter what you do. I dont think there is such thing as too much But than again I just may have an obsession lol