Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

How many guys have replaced there own timing set?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many guys have replaced there own timing set?

It appears to be time to bite the bullet and replace the timing set on my '07 with 127,000. It has the infamous tick and I need to keep this truck at least to 200,000. So my question is how many of you guys did it yourselves, what are the results, do you have any tips/warnings? I have YouTubed it to death and I do know my way around the garage but I am by no means a professional mechanic. Thanks in advance
Old 02-19-2015, 02:28 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

I did mine back during the summer, about 6000 or so miles ago and its still running great. I did some write-ups on things that I found and posted on here. Just do a search and you should find them. Make sure that you take your time, when you get the valve covers off, set the timing mark on the harmonic balancer at 1:00 (little notch in the harmonic balancer), then check the cam lobe positions as are pictured in one of my albums here, if necessary, rotate the harmonic balancer 180 degrees until the cam lobes are correct. Look at the thread "Final Guide ---" and the first few pages will really help. Not a hard job at all, just time consuming. If you need any help, just ask. Good luck and lastly, go with all OEM Ford parts and if you are changing out the phasers, do the timing chains, tensioners and guides as well. I also replaced all of my lash adjusters and followers to make sure that they were good (i found 13 bad of the 24).
Old 02-19-2015, 02:39 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

i did mine and i had never took on any kind of project like this. First time i've ever been in a truck engine. I also posted alot of stuff back then. I've driven mine around 4000 miles and still going strong. Just keep up with the bolts, get ratchet wrenches, and be ready because that passenger side valve cover is the worst part of the entire process. And torque all to spec
Old 02-19-2015, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. I will keep researching. Thanks for the tip about the followers too. Did you replace the vct solenoids too?
Old 02-19-2015, 08:30 PM

My VCTs were good, I did have to pull them bc I got a P0012 code. I cleaned them with TB cleaner and dipped them in clean oil (forgot that during installation) and reinstalled them. Good to go afterwards.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:24 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Is it completely necessary to do this sooner rather than later? I just rolled 85,000 on my 2006 FX4 SCAB, have a slight ticking, but only notice it when i.m going through a drive thru etc. The motor runs great...no diesel like noise...does skip once in a while but i'm due for new plugs. I'd rather avoid this timing overhaul until I have too do it. Thoughts?
Old 02-19-2015, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by bwFX42006
Is it completely necessary to do this sooner rather than later? I just rolled 85,000 on my 2006 FX4 SCAB, have a slight ticking, but only notice it when i.m going through a drive thru etc. The motor runs great...no diesel like noise...does skip once in a while but i'm due for new plugs. I'd rather avoid this timing overhaul until I have too do it. Thoughts?
Some have driven for quite a long time with the phaser issue with no issues. My thoughts are to fix things sooner rather than later if at all possible, sometimes funds prevent this though, I a fully aware of that myself. If you have no other issues other than the tick, I would check the torque on the spark plugs first, I believe they should be 25ft lbs, check that spec though. If you have a loose one, you will get the ticking as well. How long since your last oil change and what oil filter are you using? MC oil filters are the way to go instead of the cheaper ones without the drainback valve.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:15 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by vintageman
I did mine back during the summer, about 6000 or so miles ago and its still running great. I did some write-ups on things that I found and posted on here. Just do a search and you should find them. Make sure that you take your time, when you get the valve covers off, set the timing mark on the harmonic balancer at 1:00 (little notch in the harmonic balancer), then check the cam lobe positions as are pictured in one of my albums here, if necessary, rotate the harmonic balancer 180 degrees until the cam lobes are correct. Look at the thread "Final Guide ---" and the first few pages will really help. Not a hard job at all, just time consuming. If you need any help, just ask. Good luck and lastly, go with all OEM Ford parts and if you are changing out the phasers, do the timing chains, tensioners and guides as well. I also replaced all of my lash adjusters and followers to make sure that they were good (i found 13 bad of the 24).
I think you meant 360 degrees......?
Old 02-19-2015, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by PerryB
I think you meant 360 degrees......?
You are correct, thanks for the catch.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:33 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by vintageman
Some have driven for quite a long time with the phaser issue with no issues. My thoughts are to fix things sooner rather than later if at all possible, sometimes funds prevent this though, I a fully aware of that myself. If you have no other issues other than the tick, I would check the torque on the spark plugs first, I believe they should be 25ft lbs, check that spec though. If you have a loose one, you will get the ticking as well. How long since your last oil change and what oil filter are you using? MC oil filters are the way to go instead of the cheaper ones without the drainback valve.
I've always used motorcraft 5w-20 with motorcraft FL820S filters. It ticks the same as when it started. It's not any worse and not any better. It doesn't bother me, I just know it could be come an issue. I'm fairly certain the skipping can be attributed to bad plugs or a bad COP, my buddy has a 2006 FX4 SCAB just like mine with almost the same amount of miles and his was doing the same thing. He replaced all the plugs, and a couple coil packs, and he made sure to use die electric grease and he has had ZERO issues since then. I'm sure I could manage to undertake this repair in the future, but If it's not broke don't fix it...or not broke yet

Quick Reply: How many guys have replaced there own timing set?