Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

How-To: Install Aftermarket Cruise Control Switches on 04-08

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Proudly Rockin the XL!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default How-To: Install Aftermarket Cruise Control Switches on 04-08

Alright, there has been quite a bit of discussion on this topic, so I figured others might like to see a thread bringing all information together and showing how to add cruise control to 04-08 F-150s that didn’t come from the factory with cruise, excluding 04 Heritage model. My F-150 is a 2008 model, so there could be differences in other model years, though my research has not suggested such. Right away, I want to thank everyone on this awesome forum who provided input, knowledge, and opinions on the topic; there are MANY contributors leading up to me installing these switches and writing this How-To, too many to list, but they deserve a “Thanks!”

My quest to add cruise control began shortly after purchasing my 08 XL. I soon realized how much I liked the cruise control in my car, because not having in the 150 was just less convenient. So, I began doing research, here, on the internet abroad, and calling Ford dealerships. After some time searching, posting, asking questions, getting some answers, and making calls, I was confident that a steering wheel swap was the most involved that the addition would be. I found a few online suppliers where I could purchase the switches, and after a few more posts, I was confident that a steering wheel removal or swap would not be necessary. I learned how to remove the airbag, ordered the switches, and dove in as soon as they arrived (last night).

First, a list of what you’ll need:
1. A set of switches. I got mine for $128 shipped to my house from M&R Electronics. There are other places online, but these guys were great, I got the switches within 2 business days.
2. Small flat head screwdriver (the thinner the head, the better).
3. 8mm socket (deep, or shallow w/ extension) and ratchet.
4. 8mm box wrench (a 5/16” will also work, that’s what I had available and it worked).
5. About an hour or so of spare time.

Alright, here are the steps:
1. THIS IS CRITICALLY IMPORTANT, IMO!!!! Unplug the battery at least 30 minutes prior to installing the switches! You will be removing the airbag, and in my opinion, you must have no power going to the airbag and want to allow at least 30 minutes for the system to discharge. I also removed the airbag fuse (fuse #19 in my 150), but I might be overly cautious.
2. Remove the 2 round plastic plugs on either side of the steering wheel. They are slightly smaller than 1” in diameter, and are the only plugs on the sides of the steering wheel. Use the small flat head screwdriver to pop out these plugs. The gap between the plug and the rest of the steering wheel surround is small, hence why you want the smallest screwdriver head you can find.
3. Looking into the hole on the left side of the steering wheel, you won’t see a bolt at first, but position yourself so you’re looking more toward the back of the cab, and you should see a black 8mm bolt head. Use the 8mm socket and ratchet to remove the bolt. Try not to drop it, but if you do, it’s not a big deal, you can easily retrieve it once the airbag is removed. Repeat to remove the bolt on the right side.
4. At this point, the airbag is free. Gently pull straight back on the center of the steering wheel, and the whole unit will easily pull out. I did not unplug the airbag, I simply set it on top of the steering column and was careful not to knock it off. You may be fine, perhaps even better off, unplugging the whole airbag, but I did not find it necessary.
5. Unplug the red plug at the bottom of the airbag unit. This is the horn wire, and it will be replaced by the cruise control wiring harness.
6. Using a combination of the ratchet/socket and the wrench, remove the 2- 8mm nuts from each of the 2 cruise control “blank” panels, then pull out the blanks.
7. Remove the factory installed horn wiring harness. It is run along the back of the inside of the steering wheel and is held down by some pliable plastic retainers, no clips involved. This entire stock harness will be replaced.
8. Install the aftermarket cruise control switches in place of the blanks, using the stock 8mm nuts that secured the stock blanks. The “On/Off” switch goes on the left hand side, the “Set/Accel/Resume/etc.” switch goes on the right hand side. I unplugged the wiring harness that came with the switches to make installation easier, but do as you please.
9. Once the switches are installed (wiring harness plugged in to them), run the small, 2 terminal plug on the aftermarket harness up to the bottom of the airbag unit and plug it in. Then, route the larger plug up to its counterpart at the top rear of the steering wheel (where the stock horn wiring harness was plugged in), using the same route that the stock horn wiring harness followed.
10. With the wiring harness installed, put the airbag back in place (if you completely unplugged it, make sure you hook the wiring back up correctly and securely) and reinstall the 8mm bolts.
11. Reinstall the plastic plugs into the holes on each side of the steering wheel, plug the battery back in (and the fuse if you removed it), and you’re done with the install! I turned on the lights to ensure that the lettering on the switches illuminates, and it does, so I would think that all 04-08 F-150 switches will illuminate, but I can’t be sure.
12. Take the truck to your local Ford dealer and pay them to reprogram the PCM to activate the cruise control options. My local dealer is going to charge $80+tax to do it, but prices may vary.

Disclaimer: This How-To is intended to advise other individuals in understanding how to install aftermarket cruise control switches on an 04-08 F-150. If you decide to undertake the described task, you do so AT YOUR OWN RISK, and understand that you have responsibility for your own actions; I am not liable for any damage, to person or property or otherwise, that occurs as the result of installing, or attempting to install, said switches, or as a result of using the cruise control. Understand that you are working with/around an airbag restraint system, and doing so could potentially, however unlikely, result in an inadvertent airbag deployment and/or failure of the airbag restraint system in the event of a motor vehicle collision.

Last edited by nagata; 03-18-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nagata
Alright, there has been quite a bit of discussion on this topic, so I figured others might like to see a thread bringing all information together and showing how to add cruise control to 04-08 F-150s that didn’t come from the factory with cruise, excluding 04 Heritage model. My F-150 is a 2008 model, so there could be differences in other model years, though my research has not suggested such. Right away, I want to thank everyone on this awesome forum who provided input, knowledge, and opinions on the topic; there are MANY contributors leading up to me installing these switches and writing this How-To, too many to list, but they deserve a “Thanks!”

My quest to add cruise control began shortly after purchasing my 08 XL. I soon realized how much I liked the cruise control in my car, because not having in the 150 was just less convenient. So, I began doing research, here, on the internet abroad, and calling Ford dealerships. After some time searching, posting, asking questions, getting some answers, and making calls, I was confident that a steering wheel swap was the most involved that the addition would be. I found a few online suppliers where I could purchase the switches, and after a few more posts, I was confident that a steering wheel removal or swap would not be necessary. I learned how to remove the airbag, ordered the switches, and dove in as soon as they arrived (last night).

First, a list of what you’ll need:
1. A set of switches. I got mine for $128 shipped to my house from M&R Electronics. There are other places online, but these guys were great, I got the switches within 2 business days.
2. Small flat head screwdriver (the thinner the head, the better).
3. 8mm socket (deep, or shallow w/ extension) and ratchet.
4. 8mm box wrench (a 5/16” will also work, that’s what I had available and it worked).
5. About an hour or so of spare time.

Alright, here are the steps:
1. THIS IS CRITICALLY IMPORTANT, IMO!!!! Unplug the battery at least 30 minutes prior to installing the switches! You will be removing the airbag, and in my opinion, you must have no power going to the airbag and want to allow at least 30 minutes for the system to discharge. I also removed the airbag fuse (fuse #19 in my 150), but I might be overly cautious.
2. Remove the 2 round plastic plugs on either side of the steering wheel. They are slightly smaller than 1” in diameter, and are the only plugs on the sides of the steering wheel. Use the small flat head screwdriver to pop out these plugs. The gap between the plug and the rest of the steering wheel surround is small, hence why you want the smallest screwdriver head you can find.
3. Looking into the hole on the left side of the steering wheel, you won’t see a bolt at first, but position yourself so you’re looking more toward the back of the cab, and you should see a black 8mm bolt head. Use the 8mm socket and ratchet to remove the bolt. Try not to drop it, but if you do, it’s not a big deal, you can easily retrieve it once the airbag is removed. Repeat to remove the bolt on the right side.
4. At this point, the airbag is free. Gently pull straight back on the center of the steering wheel, and the whole unit will easily pull out. I did not unplug the airbag, I simply set it on top of the steering column and was careful not to knock it off. You may be fine, perhaps even better off, unplugging the whole airbag, but I did not find it necessary.
5. Unplug the red plug at the bottom of the airbag unit. This is the horn wire, and it will be replaced by the cruise control wiring harness.
6. Using a combination of the ratchet/socket and the wrench, remove the 2- 8mm nuts from each of the 2 cruise control “blank” panels, then pull out the blanks.
7. Remove the factory installed horn wiring harness. It is run along the back of the inside of the steering wheel and is held down by some pliable plastic retainers, no clips involved. This entire stock harness will be replaced.
8. Install the aftermarket cruise control switches in place of the blanks, using the stock 8mm nuts that secured the stock blanks. The “On/Off” switch goes on the left hand side, the “Set/Accel/Resume/etc.” switch goes on the right hand side. I unplugged the wiring harness that came with the switches to make installation easier, but do as you please.
9. Once the switches are installed (wiring harness plugged in to them), run the small, 2 terminal plug on the aftermarket harness up to the bottom of the airbag unit and plug it in. Then, route the larger plug up to its counterpart at the top rear of the steering wheel (where the stock horn wiring harness was plugged in), using the same route that the stock horn wiring harness followed.
10. With the wiring harness installed, put the airbag back in place (if you completely unplugged it, make sure you hook the wiring back up correctly and securely) and reinstall the 8mm bolts.
11. Reinstall the plastic plugs into the holes on each side of the steering wheel, plug the battery back in (and the fuse if you removed it), and you’re done with the install! I turned on the lights to ensure that the lettering on the switches illuminates, and it does, so I would think that all 04-08 F-150 switches will illuminate, but I can’t be sure.
12. Take the truck to your local Ford dealer and pay them to reprogram the PCM to activate the cruise control options. My local dealer is going to charge $80+tax to do it, but prices may vary.

Disclaimer: This How-To is intended to advise other individuals in understanding how to install aftermarket cruise control switches on an 04-08 F-150. If you decide to undertake the described task, you do so AT YOUR OWN RISK, and understand that you have responsibility for your own actions; I am not liable for any damage, to person or property or otherwise, that occurs as the result of installing, or attempting to install, said switches, or as a result of using the cruise control. Understand that you are working with/around an airbag restraint system, and doing so could potentially, however unlikely, result in an inadvertent airbag deployment and/or failure of the airbag restraint system in the event of a motor vehicle collision.
And here i thought all f-150's came with cruise control.Damm am i glad i got mine with it.No way in hell i could do all that work and not screw something up,lol.Good article thoe for someone who wants to put cruise in their truck.
ryan
Old 03-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Car Audio FANATIC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

pics???
Old 03-18-2009, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 1537
Size:  120.5 KB

How-To: Install Aftermarket Cruise Control Switches on 04-08-003.jpg

How-To: Install Aftermarket Cruise Control Switches on 04-08-004.jpg
Heres mine, got it from www.cruizecontrolstore.com, real easy to put in, took me about 15 mins.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Proudly Rockin the XL!

Originally Posted by iRmARK88
pics???
Sorry, didn't have one available at the time. If people REALLY want pictures and I have some free time in the near future, I'll pull the airbag back out and take a few quick pictures, but I can't promise anything, so for now, the write up is all I have.

Originally Posted by fordtruckman2008
Attachment 4117

Attachment 4118

Attachment 4119
Heres mine, got it from www.cruizecontrolstore.com, real easy to put in, took me about 15 mins.
Thanks for adding those! That's exactly how mine looks now. Yeah, the install is super easy, took me less than an hour, and I was drinking a beer and chatting with a buddy the whole time
Old 03-19-2009, 09:42 AM

ty for the write up...was lookin for something like this for my 08 xl that didnt come with cruise
The following users liked this post:
odcdrummer (10-24-2023)
Old 03-26-2009, 09:11 PM

Thanks for doing a great write up, I just finished putting the new cruise buttons in mine and this really helped! I'll go to one of the stealers tomorrow and get it programmed. Thanks again, Gary.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Proudly Rockin the XL!

Originally Posted by fitsport
ty for the write up...was lookin for something like this for my 08 xl that didnt come with cruise
No problem! Good luck!

Originally Posted by gwstang
Thanks for doing a great write up, I just finished putting the new cruise buttons in mine and this really helped! I'll go to one of the stealers tomorrow and get it programmed. Thanks again, Gary.
You're welcome, glad to hear it helped, and that all went well! Having the cruise is FANTASTIC, you're gonna love it
Old 03-27-2009, 09:07 AM

i called my 2 local ford dealerships and they stated that after the install i shouldnt have to reprogram the pcm that it should "learn" or pick up the cruise function and work fine.
is this right???
Old 03-27-2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by fitsport
i called my 2 local ford dealerships and they stated that after the install i shouldnt have to reprogram the pcm that it should "learn" or pick up the cruise function and work fine.
is this right???
actually, you do have to have it programmed, I tested mine before I went to the stealership......., it will not work. the computer basicly doesn't know what's gong on without the program.

Quick Reply: How-To: Install Aftermarket Cruise Control Switches on 04-08