Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

How to improve the ride?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to improve the ride?

I have a 2006 kingranch with a leveling kit, big meats, and soon to have an extended block in the back to correct the sag from the leveling kit. I hate how my truck rides. I know it's a truck, and it's supposed to ride like a truck. But are there any easy mods to help smooth it out a bit...besides lowering tire pressure. I was thinking maybe some aftermarket shocks? If shocks will do the trick, how do I know what shocks will make my ride better? I see superlift has some "Superlift Superide Shock Absorber" that claim to help.......

C_
Old 05-28-2009, 01:49 PM
GDreject

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

Since you have an 06 I'd be willing to bet your stock shocks are long done.

Try a set of Bilstein shocks and struts. They improved the ride on my truck tremendously. They're firmer, but hug the road and keep the tires planted on the road.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the above post, go with the bilsteins... but make sure not to do the blue and yellow... you want the aluminum 5100 series... and they make a coilover for your truck to act as the leveling kit and it works out very nicely.... Also companies like FOX and KING make a direct bolt in coilover over for the truck and while its expensive, the ride is unsurpassed.... and then you just buy the matching shocks for the rear.... and dont ever stack blocks in the rear.. just lose the factory one and add a little bigger one if you need to get the rear up that extra inch... if its just towing where it sags, then a set of airbags will do the trick and keep the ride nice...

if you need some prices on anything, shoot me a PM on what you are looking at
Old 05-28-2009, 03:29 PM
My girlfriend is white.

I've found the best way to get the ride on my '81 F350 like I wanted was to put a Chevrolet chassis under it. Rides REAL smooth now, but can't handle the heavy loads I was pulling with it.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:54 PM

That seems like a strange answer that wont help him!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:22 AM

Wow, I had no idea that stock shocks would wear out so quick. It has less than 50K on it! Looks like I might be getting some shocks.

I'd prefer to stay away from the 5100 height adjustable bilsteins, as I already have a leveling kit....just want to improve the ride. I have actually read that those can make the ride worse!

I PMed "DunesRunner08".....i'll see what he has to say and go from there.

Thanks,
C_
Old 05-29-2009, 08:28 AM
GDreject

I changed my shocks in February and the truck had 40k miles on it. I noticed over the last year there was more bounce than I liked while driving the truck.

The right rear shock was leaking, and both rear shocks could be closed by hand as easy as pulling up your socks. Once compressed they stayed that way. They were MORE than toast. Others have reported the same at 30k miles. The stock shocks are complete junk and don't last long at all.

The Bilsteins are a FAR better ride over the stockers. For those that like a mushy uncontrolled ride, they may feel the the ride is harsher with the Bilsteins, but I assure you 99% of people that go the Bilstein route like them. It's a night and day difference, all for the better.

Edit- Oh, and as was mentioned, go with the 5100 series. Yes they have the ride height adjustment, but they also have the stock setting so you don't have to adjust the ride height if you don't want to. If I was in your shoes I'd remove the leveling kit you already have and utilize the Bilstein ride height adjustment. Apparently leveling kits bottom out whereas the Bilsteins don't. You mentioned you have meats on your truck, so all the better reason to go with the Bilsteins.

Last edited by last5oh_302; 05-29-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:30 PM

There are the 5100 series that aren't height adjustable (looking at bilstein's website). I am assuming those are the same thing, just NOT height adjustable. I wonder if there is a price difference between the 2 styles? I'm having difficulty finding the price diff online.

Looks like it'll cost me about $400. That sound about right? Any issues with install? I've never replaced shocks before but would prefer to do it myself.

C_
Old 05-29-2009, 12:39 PM
GDreject

As far as I know, the 5100 series are all adjustable. Depending on the part number, some have 2 settings while others have 3. The one's I have have 2 settings (2" or 0" setting) Others have a 0", 1" and 2" setting, but they're all the same thing other than ride height settings.

As long as you have a heavy duty spring compressor you can do it yourself. The rear shocks are easy but the front struts require a good spring compressor.

Oh, the price. Yes, they shouldn't cost anymore than $400 shipped.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:54 PM

I don't have a spring compressor.

How much do you think it should cost if I were to pay a shop to put them on for me? I know this is subjective, but I don't want to get screwed. I wouldn't think it be too much......

I just read on a post that these shocks will raise the rear about 1/2in. Is that true?

C_

PS: This site rocks. Thanks to all who provided input.

Last edited by callaway29; 05-29-2009 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply: How to improve the ride?