Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

How hard is it to replace sunroof motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry How hard is it to replace sunroof motor

So the other day on my way to work I had the back of the sunroof kicked open, and when I got to work I hit the button to close it and it usally stops at the closed position. Well once it closed it started to retract or slide back instead of stopping, so I stopped it before it opened all the way, but it only stopped it, it would not close once it was open! So I took it to the shop (wouldnt you know it started to rain) and they got it shut but said that the "regulator" or "relay" on the motor was bad and of course you have to buy a whole new motor at a total cost of $600 installed!!
I have found them used for $99 or new for $250, and needed to know if anyone knew how hard it is to do this job yourself! Or had any link info on how to do this task! Thanks for any help!!!
Old 04-04-2009, 03:09 AM

I have replaced a few, and as long as it is factory installed, they are usally fairly easy. Although I have never done one in the new body style fords.....
Old 07-19-2010, 10:01 PM

Remove the sunroof headliner. Pull the flex cable forward until out of the motor. Remove the left driver’s side plastic fender panel in the trunk. Disconnect the wires. Take out the mounting screws. Gently separate the flex cable’s tube from the motor/gear assembly.

__________________________________________________ ____________________
AC Delco Sunroof Motor - Direct OE replacement parts
Old 05-06-2014, 03:58 PM

Default Price Update

Yesterday this happened to me. I meant to close the back window and hit the moonroof switch by mistake. While the moonroof was still moving I tried to stop it and close it. That was a $750 mistake. The roof continued to the first stopping point and when I tried to close it, nothing happened. I pushed the open again and the roof moved to the fully open position. When I tried to close again, nothing. I removed the switch and determined which pins controlled the power to the motor. Tried bypassing the switch but still couldn't close the roof. I too burned out the regulator on the motor.

I decided to take the truck to a body shop because I found a post that recommended them as a cheaper alternative to a dealership. They removed the headliner and could get the motor to close the roof by bypassing the regulator. They called back to explain what the problem was and that Ford is the only place to get the part. But... as dondelose said, they don't sell just the regulator, you must by the entire motor. The cost of the motor is now $327.09. The labor and taxes bought the grand total to $762!

Can someone explain why there isn't a way for the owner to close the roof manually in the event of this happening??? Oh, because Ford makes money fixing it.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to replace sunroof motor