Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

How do I remove rubber from factory running board?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How do I remove rubber from factory running board?

Hello,

I have a 2006 F150 FX4 SuperCab. It has what I think are factory running boards. Well the driver's side is beginning to show some rust creeping out from under the rubber top. I have used POR-15 before on some other projects and have some black left that I would like to use to treat this rust. The problem is that I can't figure out how to get the rubber off the running board without breaking it? Has anyone ever done this before?

Thanks!

ED7
Old 01-06-2011, 05:37 PM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I have been trying the same thing on mine. The rubber pad has big snappes every 8" or so. After I broke the first 2 i decieded to just tape them off and paint them.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:31 AM

Shoot..that's not what I wanted to hear. I was hoping to be able to get them off so i could treat the rust that is surely under the pad. Hrmm....
Old 01-07-2011, 10:26 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Not only do they break, but you cannot get the mounting plugs ( for lack of a more betterer term ) from FoMoCo.

How do I know ? ...

Wanted to have the step bars powdercoated and in order to do so the pads had to be removed. Using a slim pry bar was able to slide it between the pad and the bar near each tab and pry it up until it "popped". In doing so, however, even with gentle persuasion 2 of the tabs broke. The others were slightly mis-shapened though usable.

Thought ... NBD I just go to the dealership and order a set of all new tabs. NOT! The pads -and- the tabs are not and cannot be ordered separately - you need the entire step bar.

Did some extensive online searching trying to perhaps find the maker that supplies FoMoCo with the step bars. SOL.

Did get the bars powdercoated and did re-install the existing pads, however, for now they're a tad loose.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:39 AM

Well thanks for all the info. I am just going to paint what I can see and hope it stops spreading in visible areas. Eventually I guess I will just replace the stepbars. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2011, 12:40 PM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Check a junk yard or maybe someone has some for sale who upgraded or just took them off. I found this site with these bars. Not for everyone, but there are alot of aftermarket running boards available. I found my black plastic factory step too slippery so I cut pieces of the concrete non slip tape to fit the raised parts.
Good luck again

http://www.motorz.tv/blog/1717/n-fab...ema-show-2009/
Old 01-07-2011, 12:45 PM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from...boards&_sacat=

factory running boards, one set for 04-08 f150
Old 03-09-2011, 12:57 PM

gDMJoe - Not only do they break, but you cannot get the mounting plugs ( for lack of a more betterer term ) from FoMoCo.

How do I know ? ...

Wanted to have the step bars powdercoated and in order to do so the pads had to be removed. Using a slim pry bar was able to slide it between the pad and the bar near each tab and pry it up until it "popped". In doing so, however, even with gentle persuasion 2 of the tabs broke. The others were slightly mis-shapened though usable.

Thought ... NBD I just go to the dealership and order a set of all new tabs. NOT! The pads -and- the tabs are not and cannot be ordered separately - you need the entire step bar.

Did some extensive online searching trying to perhaps find the maker that supplies FoMoCo with the step bars. SOL.

Did get the bars powdercoated and did re-install the existing pads, however, for now they're a tad loose.
-UPDATE-
Though it's bad net-etiquette to reply to your own post ... Persistence has paid-off and I've identified the step bar supplier to FoMoCo .....
AND ... They can provide replacement parts. In my case I was looking for the step pad clips.

For $41.50 ( includes shipping co$t ) a set of new step pad clips ( with the pads attached ) are winging their way to me even as I type.

DeeZee: Contact ллл -click-
The following users liked this post:
tbear853 (07-03-2021)
Old 03-28-2011, 08:21 PM

gDMJoe - -UPDATE-
Though it's bad net-etiquette to reply to your own post ... Persistence has paid-off and I've identified the step bar supplier to FoMoCo .....
AND ... They can provide replacement parts. In my case I was looking for the step pad clips.

For $41.50 ( includes shipping co$t ) a set of new step pad clips ( with the pads attached ) are winging their way to me even as I type.

DeeZee: Contact ллл -click-
-UPDATE-

Took a while ( wrong ones shipped, re-shipment went to FoMoCo Canada, DeeZee personnel on spring break, delay in re-re-shipment ), but they arrived today ...

Old 10-08-2011, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you be able yo provide the part number for the pads ?? I broke most of my clips trying to take them off my rusty boards ?? What is best way to order ?? Call 800 number ???

Quick Reply: How do I remove rubber from factory running board?