Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

How do i remove lash adjusters?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 06:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default How do i remove lash adjusters?

M tearing down the front of my 5.4 to fix the tensioners and thought I would replace the lash adjusters and Rollie followers while I was at it. I imagined it being easy.

I have a tool that depresses the valve spring so I can pull the roller follower. I can't seem to pull the lash adjuster. It hits the bottom of the cam lobe, I think.

Do I have to pull the camshaft to get to these? That would suck.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:23 PM
the black pearl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Island Truck
M tearing down the front of my 5.4 to fix the tensioners and thought I would replace the lash adjusters and Rollie followers while I was at it. I imagined it being easy.

I have a tool that depresses the valve spring so I can pull the roller follower. I can't seem to pull the lash adjuster. It hits the bottom of the cam lobe, I think.

Do I have to pull the camshaft to get to these? That would suck.
I was just wondering the same thing, I have a distinct knock and its not chain rattle. I've removed the valve cover from driver side because that's where the noise is coming from. Thought it was going to be relatively easy but it looks like a real pain if I have to remove the cam!! If you know of a way around this is appreciate some input!
Old 01-17-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you fix your problem, how did you do it?
Old 01-19-2014, 12:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

No, I didn't fix them. I had already opened the lash adjuster and roller follows packages and had them soaking in oil overnight before I ran into issues getting the existing ones out.

The best I can tell, people are either removing the cam shafts or loosening one end and then the other to make room. I was already brain fried from the timing component part of the project so I thought "**** it" and didn't change them.

That was what... last year?? The lash adjusters and roller followers are still soaking in clean oil in my basement.

Maybe next time I open her up...

I am still interested in how people do this. I had the valve spring compressor from Freedom Racing and I can't see how it fits toward the back of the engine. There doesn't appear to be clearance.

I also have the service manual and thought about removing the cams, but the picture of how the cam has to be oriented before removal isn't clear (to me). I can't tell how the lobes should be pointing.

All in all it was one of those "might as well do this too" projects that turned into a pain in my neck.

With admiration for all the people who know how to do this...

Island Truck
Old 01-19-2014, 12:39 PM

No, I didn't fix them. I had already opened the lash adjuster and roller follows packages and had them soaking in oil overnight before I ran into issues getting the existing ones out.

The best I can tell, people are either removing the cam shafts or loosening one end and then the other to make room. I was already brain fried from the timing component part of the project so I thought "**** it" and didn't change them.

That was what... last year?? The lash adjusters and roller followers are still soaking in clean oil in my basement.

Maybe next time I open her up...

I am still interested in how people do this. I had the valve spring compressor from Freedom Racing and I can't see how it fits toward the back of the engine. There doesn't appear to be clearance.

I also have the service manual and thought about removing the cams, but the picture of how the cam has to be oriented before removal isn't clear (to me). I can't tell how the lobes should be pointing.

All in all it was one of those "might as well do this too" projects that turned into a pain in my neck.

With admiration for all the people who know how to do this...

Island Truck
thanks for the response. I am in the exact same boat as you I am planning to do the timing set with phasers and I figure I might as well do the lash adjustures and followers too. I have heard people not remove the camshaft and you some kind of a flat head screwdriver to pry off to followers and swap out the adjusters. If you remove the cams I think you just have to make sure everything goes back to the same positions so you have to mark the journals in the camshaft. I have done tons of searching but have found little information.

Last edited by cabrego; 01-19-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:41 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

No, I didn't fix them. I had already opened the lash adjuster and roller follows packages and had them soaking in oil overnight before I ran into issues getting the existing ones out. The best I can tell, people are either removing the cam shafts or loosening one end and then the other to make room. I was already brain fried from the timing component part of the project so I thought "**** it" and didn't change them. That was what... last year?? The lash adjusters and roller followers are still soaking in clean oil in my basement. Maybe next time I open her up... I am still interested in how people do this. I had the valve spring compressor from Freedom Racing and I can't see how it fits toward the back of the engine. There doesn't appear to be clearance. I also have the service manual and thought about removing the cams, but the picture of how the cam has to be oriented before removal isn't clear (to me). I can't tell how the lobes should be pointing. All in all it was one of those "might as well do this too" projects that turned into a pain in my neck. With admiration for all the people who know how to do this... Island Truck
You have to remove the cams. You do not need to compress the springs. You do have to mark the cams relationship to the first cam cap and the chain's relationship to the phaser. And of course you need the wedge tool to prevent chain from dropping in. When you reassemble you have to align everything up and start tightening the cam caps a little at a time so they bring the cam down as evenly as possible and start to recompress the springs. Once everything is torqued down you can use a vice grip to realign cam position so that phaser slides right in. The followers you can lift right off with your fingers and same with the adjusters although long nose pliers make it simpler.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Self Edited for misleading info.

Last edited by RustyCJ; 01-20-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:53 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyCJ
I just removed two of mine with the cam in place. No. 3 and 4 cylinders. Had to rotate the cams so the lobe was pointing up to give the clearance for the lash adjuster to be lifted out.
just out of curiosity, once the valve cover was out of the way how long did it take you to remove them? I did mine a while back and went the cam removing route just because everything looked so tight in there.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just pulled them up and out.
I've just started with this truck. Right valve cover and rockers on #3 and 4 were already off when I bought it. Haven't removed any more rockers till I can do a compression check to determine if there's a bent valve.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by RustyCJ
Just pulled them up and out.
I've just started with this truck. Right valve cover and rockers on #3 and 4 were already off when I bought it. Haven't removed any more rockers till I can do a compression check to determine if there's a bent valve.
What year and engine?

Quick Reply: How do i remove lash adjusters?