Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

How Crazy - Off Roading...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Crazy - Off Roading...

How crazy can one expect to get using a stock 2006 4x4 f150 v8?

How deep of water or mud can one expect to play in without destroying the vehicle?

How much of a grade, rocky surface can one expect to tackle?

I'm talking no lifts, pretty much plain old A/T tires on the stock 18's.

My Truck...

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Are these rhetorical questions? There's really no definitive answer for this. Go as crazy as you want. Just leave your wallet open. I wouldn't go deeper than the bottom of your doors so that when you get stuck you don't flood your cab or suck water into the engine. If you want to tackle a steep grade, go downhill; you'll make it to the end one way or another. You'll know easily when going uphill if it's too much. You'll either loose traction or won't have enough power to get very far. Stay away from rocks that are taller than the lowest part of your cab. With smaller tires and little sidewall, stay away from jagged rocks. Above all, be safe when pushing your truck to the limits and have friends with another vehicle in case you need assistance. If you really want to do these things then I highly recommend upgrades. If this is your daily driver, I don't recommend putting your truck to the test. On a different note, I like how you blacked out your wheels. Black wheels on a black truck always looks good. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:10 PM

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Be careful with water, I went through a puddle only 2 feet deep, but the water splashed up and got all the way into my air intake, it had water up to the K&N filter which was drenched, but stopped any water from getting into my engine. This was on a factory intake. Don't go in water deeper than the rear axle because you can get water inside of it, and have to change the rear end oil.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:17 PM
HOPEFUL

Received 266 Likes on 197 Posts

considering how frequently the front hub/bearing assemblies and IWE's fail, I dont think I would do much if any mud or water crossings. but that's just me.
one of the biggest reasons I bought a 2wd is becausethose items are way to prone to failure.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:21 PM

Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by jbspillman
How crazy can one expect to get using a stock 2006 4x4 f150 v8?

How deep of water or mud can one expect to play in without destroying the vehicle?

How much of a grade, rocky surface can one expect to tackle?

I'm talking no lifts, pretty much plain old A/T tires on the stock 18's.

My Truck...

Thanks!
Just go out and see for yourself.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:22 PM

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by MPETE
considering how frequently the front hub/bearing assemblies and IWE's fail, I dont think I would do much if any mud or water crossings. but that's just me.
one of the biggest reasons I bought a 2wd is becausethose items are way to prone to failure.
They aren't that bad.... I would never buy a 2wd cause of the hubs on these. I use mine off road and in mud and water and after 150k I just replaced the drivers side iwe. Not bad imo
Old 06-27-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're going to go deeper than the axles you may want to see where the vent line runs to if its low, bring it to the highest point you'd feel comfortable with. My jeep has them at the bottom of the hood hinge. I never plan on going in deep but sometimes you just do it.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 PM

I have had mud filter into the differentials through the breather tube since the axles were completely submerged. They are a little higher than yours too so you may not wan't to go too deep. That was a mess but I was swappin out gears anyway!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:37 PM

Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts

Routing your vent tubes won't do crap to prevent water from getting in the differentials, they help a little bit but not all. Water will still leak though your seals. To properly do it you have to pressurize your diffs with a certain amount of air pressure. It's like 2 Barr or something.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by TwinTurboFx4
Routing your vent tubes won't do crap to prevent water from getting in the differentials, they help a little bit but not all. Water will still leak though your seals. To properly do it you have to pressurize your diffs with a certain amount of air pressure. It's like 2 Barr or something.
My vent tube on my rear diff was old and cracking and eventually broke off so that the breather tube was only an inch or so long. I replaced it with the gear swap so the end was sitting much higher. I haven't had any issues despite multiple trips in the mud. I haven't heard of pressurizing the differentials but it sounds interesting. But what keeps that pressure from exiting the breather tube? The rear diff needs the ability to transfer pressure anyway due to temp fluctuations.

Quick Reply: How Crazy - Off Roading...