Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Hot soak to help spark plug removal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot soak to help spark plug removal?

Hi all, I'm planning on taking my new to me 2006 screw to a shop to have new plugs and COPS fitted. (No idea if it's still got the original plugs so I'm expecting the worst case) Unfortunately the best reviewed local shop won't fit customer purchased parts, which sucks as I've already got them. Contacted another shop and got a response saying ... "The first thing we need to do is drop the truck of the night before we do the work and we do something called hot soak. This will help loosen up the plugs. I have never done one that did have at least one break. If it breaks then we have to extract them out and become lots of work depending on where the one breaks. If none break u looking at about 175 for labor. Then about 50 per plug if it breaks."

I think the money side is the best I'll get around here, but what is a hot soak? Should I avoid this guy getting anywhere near my truck?

Btw, I'd love to try it myself but I've got a bit of a road trip coming within the next two weeks and I don't have the ***** to risk messing up and having no truck.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:01 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

I assume he means that he will warm the engine up, crack the plugs loose, and let a penetrating oil soak in overnight. Not uncommon practice when removing plugs and it will definitely help loosen them up. You should phone him to confirm what he is actually planning on doing.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:01 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

How many miles on your truck?
Old 10-22-2014, 04:08 PM

Have you run any seafoam through the truck? I'm a firm believer in lots of seafoam and an impact to remove them. The Ford dealership near me uses the impact method now... I just replaced mine and they came out clean with none breaking. ~138,000 miles.

I did mine with the engine warm when I started, it didnt really matter because there was no carbon on the plugs at all. The theory is the carbon is softer when its hot...

-Greg

Last edited by BLUENGRAY05FX4; 10-22-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:32 PM

90k on the truck. I've run a couple of tanks of seafoam through it hoping it will help. I saw the words "hot soak" and got a little nervous. Thanks for your replies guys.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:47 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

I'm nervous for you.. Most guys that "know" these motors are swearing by the " 3/8 impact" method on a hot motor.. The "crack and soak" method is too much of a dice roll. Ask him if he's heard of it. If he hasn't, then consider telling him to give it a shot if he starts snapping plugs in half..

Quick Reply: Hot soak to help spark plug removal?