Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Horn going off !

Old 01-17-2016, 08:55 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Horn going off !

Hi all, need some help\advice.
The horn on my 2005XL has gone off on me twice in the last week and was wondering if anyone else has had this happen or heard of it.
The other day it went off at work, steady, just like you held the horn on. Then yesterday (when I was at a dealer looking at a new truck) it went off again, there went my trade in value,lol.
The truck has no key fob,no power windows , no power door locks. Very plain Jane.
No remote start.
When the horn is going off , it stops as soon as I open the drivers door. After I do that everything works fine.
Any help????
Old 01-17-2016, 09:39 AM

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by koja7296
Hi all, need some help\advice.
The horn on my 2005XL has gone off on me twice in the last week and was wondering if anyone else has had this happen or heard of it.
The other day it went off at work, steady, just like you held the horn on. Then yesterday (when I was at a dealer looking at a new truck) it went off again, there went my trade in value,lol.
The truck has no key fob,no power windows , no power door locks. Very plain Jane.
No remote start.
When the horn is going off , it stops as soon as I open the drivers door. After I do that everything works fine.
Any help????
Yeah, next time you go shopping for a new truck leave the door propped open ha ha. Its got to be electrical or maybe fuse related. Does the wheel being turned have anything to do with it? You may have to poke around both under the hood where the horn is or possibly in the steering wheel itself. Don't know about the new horns but I had an older vehichle that did this from a broken spring in the steering wheel. Only did it when I turned the wheel and yes it was embarassing. Actually if the fuse was bad it would'nt work. Sorry I could'nt be of more help
Old 01-17-2016, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the reply. The steering doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.
I'm thinking maybe something to do with the door. It makes a loud click noise when you open the door. It comes from the little swing arm, thinking that the detent for it that holds the door open is broken. Looks like it is really hard to get at so never fixed it. But maybe something has gone hay wire in there . Thinking that because when you open the door the horn quits .
Old 01-18-2016, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by koja7296
Thanks for the reply. The steering doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.
I'm thinking maybe something to do with the door. It makes a loud click noise when you open the door. It comes from the little swing arm, thinking that the detent for it that holds the door open is broken. Looks like it is really hard to get at so never fixed it. But maybe something has gone hay wire in there . Thinking that because when you open the door the horn quits .
Thats weird. You would think the wiring for the horn would'nt go through the door but who knows. It may be related or a coincidence that the door arm/latch is broken but it shuts the horn off. The times the horn sounded was it right after you shut the door? or later?. Im guessing its later because you had to go back and open the door. If Im correct than I would guess its not something in the door but the door has something that shuts it off though. That is also weird because I think you can beep the horn with the door open. The bad part is that they jam all of those wires into that plastic protective sleeve and its almost impossible to find a bad wire. Is the horn fuse tied into anything important that you can just pull the fuse or better yet just unhook the wire that goes to the horn except you wont have a horn though if that does'nt bother you
Old 01-20-2016, 05:38 AM

I'm thinking that whatever is broken in the door may have something to do with the GEM module .Or , maybe the GEM module may be getting bad itself , although I haven't experienced any other symptoms that usually go with a bad one.
If it goes off again I will try opening the passenger side door. If it stops,,, then I know the drivers doors broken whatever isn't the culprit.
I really want to fix this before I sell it. I don't believe in passing your problems on to another person , bad karma.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:47 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Horn relay (305) may be sticking on. Fuse 26 powers this relay (horn output) you can pull either to temorarily disable the horn, then replace it.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 01-20-2016 at 07:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
koja7296 (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 07:54 AM

Thank you. I will give that a try.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:27 PM

Update for you all. It was the relay. Thanks for the input.
I also have another update,,,,, traded her in on a 2012 f150xlt with 45,000 miles on it. Very happy with it so far. Hated to see the old girl go but it was time. I drive 96 miles a day for work and needed something newer. And with a F150 I know I can do that with confidence.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:13 PM

Cool, hows the horn on the 2012. ha
Old 01-27-2016, 07:17 PM

Lol Tommy , be honest with ya I haven't even tried the horn yet . Too many other buttons to figure out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Horn going off !