Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

hole in my piston

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hole in my piston

So ya just like the title says I have a whole in my piston in cylinder one the cylinder walls is tore up pretty bad. I just wanted to get some opinions on the best and cheapest ways to fix it my one buddy that used to work for ford says I need replace the motor but my other buddy who used to work in a machine shop says to tear it down and have the cylinder punched and sleeved while the other guy says I'm gonna need $500 in special tools to tear down the motor. I just wanted to get some other opinions maybe from people who have gone thru this. Any input would be greatly apreciated.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:25 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

What caused the piston and sleeve to get like that? If thinking about the re-sleeve, then you have to pay to get it bored out, new piston, all the gaskets, and fix whatever caused it in the first place. I believe in fixing these motors but you need to look at the cost of everything to fix it and compare that to a price of a new or used long block. Check the salvage yards, they may have an engine pretty cheap and while it is out, make sure you do the phasers and timing components, I would do the oil pump and lash adjusters/followers at the same time an have it done with. Good luck.
Tom
Old 05-17-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

I'd honestly say that the price to fix it would be higher than I'd be willing to spend on that over a remanufactured engine like a Jasper.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:27 AM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

Short block... ^^^

Quick Reply: hole in my piston