Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

High Pitch Squeak while driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 12:17 PM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Default High Pitch Squeak while driving

I dont know about you guys, but my 05 did this, my 08 does this, and my cousins 08 does this. While driving, anything above what seems to be 10 mph, there is a high pitch squeak which sounds like it is coming from the rear of the cab. If you roll your windows down, you will notice it gets even louder.

(Please note, i come from an extremely dry area. > 11" of rain per year.)

So, when my 08 with 8000 miles on it started to do it, louder than ever, i got extremely mad and took it to the dealer. The shop foreman took a spin with me and said, yeah, i can see how that would make you mad before making it out of the dealership. However, you could not hear it going over speed bumps. He asked me to pull over so he could check something cause there had been a few issues with a squeak so he was hoping it was what the other trucks had. Sure enough, with one shake he was able to replicate the noise.

Turns out its the tail gate...well, not really the tail gate but more the black ***** that stick out of the bed that the tail gate latches on to. With a little lube, i am was on my way...Squeak free!

Hope this helps someone.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool. Thanx for the info and glad it was an easy fix.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dplummer87
I dont know about you guys, but my 05 did this, my 08 does this, and my cousins 08 does this. While driving, anything above what seems to be 10 mph, there is a high pitch squeak which sounds like it is coming from the rear of the cab. If you roll your windows down, you will notice it gets even louder.

(Please note, i come from an extremely dry area. > 11" of rain per year.)

So, when my 08 with 8000 miles on it started to do it, louder than ever, i got extremely mad and took it to the dealer. The shop foreman took a spin with me and said, yeah, i can see how that would make you mad before making it out of the dealership. However, you could not hear it going over speed bumps. He asked me to pull over so he could check something cause there had been a few issues with a squeak so he was hoping it was what the other trucks had. Sure enough, with one shake he was able to replicate the noise.

Turns out its the tail gate...well, not really the tail gate but more the black ***** that stick out of the bed that the tail gate latches on to. With a little lube, i am was on my way...Squeak free!

Hope this helps someone.
I has to do the same thing a week ago to my 06.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought an 05 a few weeks ago and have been trying to figure out what it was. Im headin out to see if his works. Fingers crossed, thanks for the info

Quick Reply: High Pitch Squeak while driving