Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

High Cylinder Temp

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High Cylinder Temp

After the truck has warmed-up I get an alarm, the temp gauge goes from normal to max instantly and the screen on the dash tells me to “reduce engine power”. After this happens I can restart the truck and it might be 1 min. to 20 min before I get the alarm again. I took the truck to auto zone and they told me that I had a high cylinder temp. What is odd is that I live in Chicago and had this started at the end of last winter, not at all during the summer and again this winter. I think it is a bad sensor but don’t know. Can anybody please help me figure this out.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:19 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

The "reduce engine power" sounds like the engine overheat "fail safe" mode. It does that to try to save the engine when it overheats. Make sure your fluids (oil and water) are in spec first. The Cylinder Head Temperature sensor is on the top of the passenger side of the engine and is fairly easy to replace, if you're so inclined.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mechanik,

Thanks for your help. I have the 5.4 liter engine and a couple of the searches I did say the sensor is under the intake manifold and start with the instructions of "remove the manifold". If that is the case I will live with it.

Steve
Old 03-22-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I did some searching of my own and I'm pretty sure you're right. Now I wish I could find the link that made me think that sensor on the top was the CHT....

Quick Reply: High Cylinder Temp