Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

High amp alternator

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 08:11 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 475 Likes on 375 Posts

Default High amp alternator

Since Ford did not seem to offer a higher amp alternator (that I could find) other then the 110 amp stock, I've been looking at other sites for one. This site offers 130 amp all the way up to 220 AMP (on demand and at cruising RPM; not a constant 130 to 220 amp):

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-8141-n...p-04-2004.aspx

Anyone have any experience with them? They are not fomoco alternators, but since I have an electric fan, a 6 pin trailer with the additional 12 volt accessory lead out to the trailer (used to power my 12 volt campers refrig during towing), I want to move up to a 130 amp to keep the 820 amp battery up to snuff. Using my Edge programmer, I monitor the battery voltage, and notice that when towing my camper, the battery will drop from 14.1 to 13.3 volts; while that's greater then the 12.6 battery output, I'd think a 130 amp would be a better alternator for replacement. My current alternator is the original, and at 8 years of operation, it may not have too much life left in it.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 01-19-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:10 AM
Some guy

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,293 Posts

On a separate note, what battery do you have?
Old 01-19-2016, 09:14 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

The 2.7 trucks all have a 200 amp alternator.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:20 AM
Mark

Received 2,424 Likes on 2,122 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbabud
The 2.7 trucks all have a 200 amp alternator.
What does that have to do with his 07 4.6L ? will it bolt in ?
Old 01-19-2016, 11:24 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by LaMartian
On a separate note, what battery do you have?
Replaced it three weeks ago with a premium 835 cold cranking AMP Interstate battery.

When I owned my 2000 Ford Ranger, Ford offered and equipped these that came from the factory with the heavy duty tow package with a 220 AMP alternator.
In discussing with my local Ford parts guy, he stated the 110 amp alternator "should do just fine", but I'm still wondering if 110 AMP output is alright with my total requirements when towing my camper with the 12 volt accessory lead (on the 6 prong connector) being used, plus the e-fan draw (Mark VIII 2 speed).

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 01-19-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:17 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
What does that have to do with his 07 4.6L ? will it bolt in ?
Just stating the alternator is available. Will it bolt in? maybe. Can it be bolted in absolutely. It's called fabrication.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:42 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by bubbabud
Just stating the alternator is available. Will it bolt in? maybe. Can it be bolted in absolutely. It's called fabrication.
Not the issue, since the site I mentioned has 110 to 220 amp alternators that fit a 4.6, so no need to "fabricate" brackets and mounts. I asked if anyone had any good or bad experience with the company posted in my link.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm sort of in the same boat as you, Bucko. I've added enough items that my alternator is struggling to keep up. With everything (lights, stereo with amps, e-fan, etc.) running at idle I'm pulling about 90A off the alternator. Now my alternator is making funny noises so I know it's on its last leg...luckily I'm still within my "used car extended warranty" and it cover the alternator. Another bit of luck, they'll let me pay the difference on an upgrade.

With that said, sadly, I don't have any experience with DB Electrical. However, I have been researching high output alternators and asking friends that have experience upgrading vehicles to them. The highest recommendation (in price and praise) is DC Power Engineering, followed by Power Bastards. Mechman is also often discussed on this and other forums. Naturally, all of them have the "their stuff is crap" posts, but they also have the "worked fine for me" posts.

Something I've learned to look for is the performance that each has at idle and where they reach max output. Some don't reach their "magic number" until higher RPM where most of us don't drive. I'm looking for higher output near idle to ~1200RPM (stop and go traffic in Houston, ugh!) since I know about how many amps I'm pulling (at idle) and plan to add more equipment.

I just wanted to pass along the info I've gathered to maybe help you in your decision.

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/
https://www.powerbastards.com/
http://www.mechman.com/
Old 01-20-2016, 12:01 PM
F150 on jooze

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Renegade339
I'm sort of in the same boat as you, Bucko. I've added enough items that my alternator is struggling to keep up. With everything (lights, stereo with amps, e-fan, etc.) running at idle I'm pulling about 90A off the alternator. Now my alternator is making funny noises so I know it's on its last leg...luckily I'm still within my "used car extended warranty" and it cover the alternator. Another bit of luck, they'll let me pay the difference on an upgrade.

With that said, sadly, I don't have any experience with DB Electrical. However, I have been researching high output alternators and asking friends that have experience upgrading vehicles to them. The highest recommendation (in price and praise) is DC Power Engineering, followed by Power Bastards. Mechman is also often discussed on this and other forums. Naturally, all of them have the "their stuff is crap" posts, but they also have the "worked fine for me" posts.

Something I've learned to look for is the performance that each has at idle and where they reach max output. Some don't reach their "magic number" until higher RPM where most of us don't drive. I'm looking for higher output near idle to ~1200RPM (stop and go traffic in Houston, ugh!) since I know about how many amps I'm pulling (at idle) and plan to add more equipment.

I just wanted to pass along the info I've gathered to maybe help you in your decision.

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/
https://www.powerbastards.com/
http://www.mechman.com/
Powerbastards alts are pieces of ****, the only alts you need to look at right now are dc, mechman and singer. I have a singer 340 amp hairpin and it is a monster alt.

Quick Reply: High amp alternator