Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

HID's: Bambi mod didn't work

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Smoke'n the competition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID's: Bambi mod didn't work

Hey, New to the site here. I have a 08 f150 single cab short bed, plain ol work truck!

I decided to put some hid's in it and finally got all the wiring completed, relays, diodes and all. However the highbeam indicator still comes on "half-way" when i turn on the headlights. I was searching the web about this problem and found this site, seems as though people where doing the "bambi" mod to take care of the fog light and highbeam indicator problem, well i don't have any fogs but I tried the bambi mod anyways and it did nothing for me.

I have a single beam hid kit on the truck (not hi/lo, not bixenon). I am only using one of the original headlight plugs to power the relay, since the other is unused i tried plugging one of the original bulbs into it and that turned off the highbeam indicator.

Any help as to how to solve this would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Smoke'n the competition

Anyone?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:20 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

What "kit" did you buy? I purchased one for my 2005 STX; just the low beams are HID (like your setup). My kit came with "plug and play" harnesses. I mearly removed the stock bulb, installed the 8000K bulb from their kit, their "box", and their wiring harness (it connected to the stock bulb harness to the "box"). Each headlight came with it's own "box", and wiring harness. There were no diodes or such for me to have to wire in; I'm assuming that was all in each headlights "box" that came with my kit. I paid $89.00 for this kit off of Ebay. My son uses the same manufacturers kit in his Dodge Neon SRT-4. He's had his for 2 years now without any failure; he even had a front end wreck, and the bulbs/boxes still worked.

My Low beams work great, high beams ("regular bulb") work great, and my fogs work great. No problems with the high beam indicator on the dash.

I'm not "up" on this bambi mod you are refering to, so maybe I don't understand what it is you are trying to do. I do think I remember your post though on another site awhile back.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 02-18-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Smoke'n the competition

The kit is a xentec from ebay. It was a "plug and play" kit, however when i plugged it in it did not work. I had to buy a relay, a diode, fuses, fuse holders, and so on and wire it up correctly soldering and heat shrinking all the joints for good connections as well as a professional appearance.

I got the same kit for my 02 GT and installed it in the same way with no hickups.

Everything is working fine, it's just the headlight indicator is halflit whenever the lights are on, and it bugs me.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmm..have you re-done your ground? Alot of times with these kits it's a insufficient ground that causes issues.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Smoke'n the competition

Originally Posted by SinCityFX4
Hmmm..have you re-done your ground? Alot of times with these kits it's a insufficient ground that causes issues.
Which ground ? There are a couple...lol

I'm pretty sure the grounds are good, I used places where ford had grounded things.

I read something about using a resister to fool it into turning off the half lit high beam indicator, but i don't like the idea of having something that gets that hot hanging around under there.

Like i said if i plug in one of the original headlights into the unused socket on the drivers side, the high beam indicator will go off.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Smoke'n the competition

To the top
Old 02-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Originally Posted by Marlboro_Man
Which ground ? There are a couple...lol

I'm pretty sure the grounds are good, I used places where ford had grounded things.

I read something about using a resister to fool it into turning off the half lit high beam indicator, but i don't like the idea of having something that gets that hot hanging around under there.

Like i said if i plug in one of the original headlights into the unused socket on the drivers side, the high beam indicator will go off.
That is wierd.....only reason I asked about the ground is the usual...people tend to do that part quickly and lazily and that has been the issue alot of the time when people ask questions about their HID's acting up.. As for the resistor...I agree with you there......

I dont know bud.....you got me. If having the OEM unit plugged in causes it to off it still sounds like it just needs to be a completed circuit somehow.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Smoke'n the competition

Originally Posted by SinCityFX4
That is wierd.....only reason I asked about the ground is the usual...people tend to do that part quickly and lazily and that has been the issue alot of the time when people ask questions about their HID's acting up.. As for the resistor...I agree with you there......

I dont know bud.....you got me. If having the OEM unit plugged in causes it to off it still sounds like it just needs to be a completed circuit somehow.
Trust me I'm picky about my wiring, Like i said no butt connectors or wire nuts lol evrything is soldered and heatshrinked! I'll play with the grounds this weekend but i think the problem is elswhere.

A friend who does alot of hids told me that basicaly you have to complete the circuit somehow, like with a small bulb or resistor or by using a HI/LOW hid kit.

I wonder if a broken bulb would complete the circuit?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Originally Posted by Marlboro_Man
Trust me I'm picky about my wiring, Like i said no butt connectors or wire nuts lol evrything is soldered and heatshrinked! I'll play with the grounds this weekend but i think the problem is elswhere.

A friend who does alot of hids told me that basicaly you have to complete the circuit somehow, like with a small bulb or resistor or by using a HI/LOW hid kit.

I wonder if a broken bulb would complete the circuit?
Brother I figured you had your bases covered from your terminology...just had to ask, you know how it is. As for the broken bulb...that has a nick name and it is not a good one. Cant remember..too many As a last resort you could get a spare bulb and completely remove the bulb aseembly and then seal it off so it is just the plug,,,,I hate to suggest this, but I have no other ideas other than completing the circuit like this.

Quick Reply: HID's: Bambi mod didn't work