Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

HID problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID problems

I just installed 55w 8000k hids and whenever i turn the high beams on, the headlights stay the same but the fogs turn off. Also, if i have the heads or parking lights on and turn on the fogs, the high beam light on the dash comes on. Has anyone else had this problem??
Old 07-12-2011, 03:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Fogs always turn off when high beam is activated. High beam is used as a downrange beam for maximum visibility, and fog lights are designed as fowl weather lights that increase foreground light intensity. The problem is that the increased foreground intensity can dialate your eyes and you wont focus down the road, so they are pointless to use with high beams. You can do the "bambi" mod to keep fogs on with high beam, though I don't really recommend it.

The reason the high beam isn't much different from your low beam is that these HID conversion bulbs miss the focal point of the factory reflector by quite a bit in both high and low beam positions, so light is scattered and there isn't a uniform beam pattern like with the factory halogens.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:37 PM

I understand the point of high beams, and i had hids on my old car where the high beams worked. With these, the light doesnt change at all, i even got a friend of mine to stand in front of it and see and the light was the same.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by babyface44
I just installed 55w 8000k hids and whenever i turn the high beams on, the headlights stay the same but the fogs turn off. Also, if i have the heads or parking lights on and turn on the fogs, the high beam light on the dash comes on. Has anyone else had this problem??

I just installed a set of 35W HID's in my factory housing. I can see a huge difference between high and low beam. Did you set up come with the relay? I know there were kits you could order from Jon_To that only had the low beams. The high low kit comes with a relay so you have both beams.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

HID bulbs unlike Halogen bulbs do not have the ability to turn on quickly. The only way to get multiple beam patterns with an HID bulb is to have a sheild that moves out of the way, or move the bulb itself inside the housing to change the beam pattern.

Halogen on the other hand does not have a warm up time and puts out full lumens almost immediately. Which is why they can create dual filament halogen bulb. With two filaments you can turn on both for high beam, or one for low beam. That's not possible with a single HID bulb.

Therefore, unless you bought a HI/LOW kit(which has a solenoid to move either the entire bulb or the shield), you will not have high beams with HID. Also, there is no reason to run your fog lights along with a high beam headlight...besides to look cool..which is probably why you have HID's in the first place, which explains this entire thread.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like you didn't get the dual beam lights. I have a harness in my lights that keep the fogs on while I have the brights on.

I had the dual beam HID kit and fog light kit from Jon_To on here but they all quit working after 4 months so I went back to regular bulbs.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by eclark53520
HID bulbs unlike Halogen bulbs do not have the ability to turn on quickly. The only way to get multiple beam patterns with an HID bulb is to have a sheild that moves out of the way, or move the bulb itself inside the housing to change the beam pattern.

Halogen on the other hand does not have a warm up time and puts out full lumens almost immediately. Which is why they can create dual filament halogen bulb. With two filaments you can turn on both for high beam, or one for low beam. That's not possible with a single HID bulb.

Therefore, unless you bought a HI/LOW kit(which has a solenoid to move either the entire bulb or the shield), you will not have high beams with HID. Also, there is no reason to run your fog lights along with a high beam headlight...besides to look cool..which is probably why you have HID's in the first place, which explains this entire thread.
Maybe I am wrong about this, but I bought the Bi-Xenon (High/low) kit from Jon_To in the vendor section recently. I only have a relay, 2 bulbs and 2 ballasts. There was nothing that changed in the housing as far as a solenoid moving anything. I have high and low beams. Is it possible that he didn’t get a Bi-xenon kit? PS; I got mine so I could actually see at night and couldn't be happier. They look damn cool too.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:02 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f7/all-things-hid-here-77080/

just sayin...
Old 07-12-2011, 05:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OKStateF150
Maybe I am wrong about this, but I bought the Bi-Xenon (High/low) kit from Jon_To in the vendor section recently. I only have a relay, 2 bulbs and 2 ballasts. There was nothing that changed in the housing as far as a solenoid moving anything. I have high and low beams. Is it possible that he didn’t get a Bi-xenon kit? PS; I got mine so I could actually see at night and couldn't be happier. They look damn cool too.
Is there a shield over the bulbs? or do the bulbs have a large base?

Something on the bulb is moving to provide a high beam. The HID's themselves do not get brighter. They put out a fixed amount of light at all times depending on what you do with that light you can change from high to low beams.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by eclark53520
Is there a shield over the bulbs? or do the bulbs have a large base?

Something on the bulb is moving to provide a high beam. The HID's themselves do not get brighter. They put out a fixed amount of light at all times depending on what you do with that light you can change from high to low beams.
Yes, I have a shield over the bulbs. The factory harness on the passenger side hooks into the relay that came with the kit. Is that what the relay is for, to move that shield and change the angle of the refection? I know that a full projector kit would be better, but I adjusted mine lower than stock and have driven on busy 2 lane streets 5-6 nights and haven’t gotten flashed yet. I went with the 5000K’s because I wanted the brightest lights I could get without drawing attention for having blue headlights. I also did a couple of drive-bys on my friend sitting in his car and he said the glare wasn’t bad. For $100, it beats getting new glasses so I can see at night. And the brights are insane, they are brighter than 4 6” driving lights I had mounted on my suburban roof rack (those were pretty cheap lights though).

Quick Reply: HID problems