Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

To HID or Not HID

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default To HID or Not HID

I am looking into putting an HID kit on my headlights and fogs. Anybody have any kit suggestions or any issues with kits? Looking to gain some education here before I go down this path.

Thanks!!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

i have 12k in my stock housing. I like them, i mainly got mine for the color not light output so i went i little more blue then people usually go that are looking for the added light. But with a stock halogen housing you will never reap the full
benifits of a hid kit. But they do make a difference.
Only thing i would want to get is a relay for my set, i sometimes experience some major flickering and a quick on/off fixes it but i read a relay kit will possibly cure that. just havent got around to ordering them yet.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I say no don't so it. Unless you are putting in a reflector that is designed to be used with HID's then I don't see the point. First it is illegal to use HID's without the proper reflector and housing. If they aren't done right you are just going to be pissing off people that driving towards you. Sorry I am not big on HID's unless it done right
Old 07-12-2011, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go for it. I currently am runnin a set of 30,000s and they are pure blue and look really cool but as far as funtion they do not put off as much light as I would like. I am about to order a set of 6,000s that are pure white and put off a ton of light. Typically the higher up the scale you go the more color is produced but also less light.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Big Kahuna

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a set of 6k in my fogs. I like them a lot, they are MUCH brighter than stock, brighter than my low beams, just don't reach out as far (housing design). I plan on doing my headlights soon, but I'll probably wait until I can get a proper projector for them.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by muddymallard
I would go for it. I currently am runnin a set of 30,000s and they are pure blue and look really cool but as far as funtion they do not put off as much light as I would like. I am about to order a set of 6,000s that are pure white and put off a ton of light. Typically the higher up the scale you go the more color is produced but also less light.
5k will be whiter and brighter, I just installed 6k in mine 2 days ago, and it's got a tinge of blue. But I love it, so much more light than halogens, and thanks to proper aim they don't glare like all those *******s who don't re-aim their lights when the HIDs go in
Old 07-12-2011, 12:45 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Unless you're going to spend the money to do them properly (NOT pnp kits) don't.

The rest of us on the road will appreciate it.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Problem Solver

Received 358 Likes on 262 Posts

You can do it, and you will see improvement over stock halogen bulbs for sure. I see where Kevhead is coming from, but they don't make OEM style reflector housings designed for HID for our trucks. If you wanted to do it "right", as I did, then the best route to go would be projectors designed for HID. I doubt that there are ANY aftermarket housings out there made by any company that are designed for HID, they are designed for halogen bulbs with a projector. That too is a step up above HID in stock housings, but still not mind blowing. Here are your options as I see it:

1. Put HID's in stock reflectors; better light output, look pretty neat, but blind anyone driving toward you. You lose the ability to flash them with your high beams effectively. You still have high beams, but they are somewhat useless.

2. Aftermarket housings with projectors; when used with halogen bulbs (as they are designed for them) you will see a decent improvement in distance both in front and to the sides of the vehicle. You will also maintain the use of your high beams.

3. HID's in aftermarket projectors; also an improvement, but you're right back to the aggravating glare that HID's produce in housings not designed for them.

4. Retrofitting HID projectors into housings; This is the "best" way to have maximum performance from using HID. You eliminate the glare, you have unbelievable light spread and distance, colorful cutoff, and you still have HID high beams.

Personally, I went with the fourth option. I put Morimoto Mini H1 projectors from TRS into some HD headlight housings, and let me tell you, once you have driven a vehicle with proper output HID's you'll never want halogens again. I have posted output pics and a walk-through in another thread (PM me for pics) if this is something you may be interested in.

Now, lets move onto the touchy bit of this topic...
Some users on here (as with any forum) are very sensitive and pushy when it comes to these. Some bash anyone with HID's in stockers, and are just mean about it. Instead, lets look at it this way, you will have greatly improved visibility with HID's regardless of HOW you chose to apply them. In stock housings, yes you will glare like mad and potentially anger other drivers, but it ALL depends on how much $ and effort you're wishing to put towards this upgrade. However you do it, you'll be happy with the results, but remember to do your research first, know your product in and out before you jump into it and frustrate yourself.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do.

-SZ-
Old 07-12-2011, 01:01 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by StuckZipper

Now, lets move onto the touchy bit of this topic...
Some users on here (as with any forum) are very sensitive and pushy when it comes to these. Some bash anyone with HID's in stockers, and are just mean about it.

-SZ-

Yeah, pardon the hell out of me for getting annoyed by being blinded by the damned things.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:09 PM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f7/all-things-hid-here-77080/

Quick Reply: To HID or Not HID