Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

HID or LED conversion kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default HID or LED conversion kit?

Yes. I know our housings are not the best for aftermarket systems. But between HID and LED what would be recommended?
Old 05-25-2016, 10:18 PM

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Honestly? Neither.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:49 PM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

Halogen. For stock housing that is.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 04BenFX4
Yes. I know our housings are not the best for aftermarket systems. But between HID and LED what would be recommended?
If you're not doing a retrofit, halogen.

If you're retrofitting, HID. While LED is neat and almost there, it's going to be another two years before it's truly ready for any old dummy to use.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:49 AM

I'm truly not trying to be rude. But; Nope. I said I know they're not the best in our housings, I asked IF I were to put a system in which would be better, not whether there wonderful in our headlights. Tired of halogens. Ugly yellow light. I've tried three sets of bulbs and I can't stand them. These systems in our housings I know don't throw the best but I have spotlights in my Fog housings for that and a lightbar for spread. Halogen vs HID the HID's will still throw farther if only marginally. I've done HID's in stock housings before. Wanted something to match my switchbacks as well.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 04BenFX4
I'm truly not trying to be rude. But; Nope. I said I know they're not the best in our housings, I asked IF I were to put a system in which would be better, not whether there wonderful in our headlights. Tired of halogens. Ugly yellow light. I've tried three sets of bulbs and I can't stand them. These systems in our housings I know don't throw the best but I have spotlights in my Fog housings for that and a lightbar for spread. Halogen vs HID the HID's will still throw farther if only marginally. I've done HID's in stock housings before. Wanted something to match my switchbacks as well.
I didn't take it as rude. Most switchbacks and HIDs will be right around the same color temps, and HIDs will shimmy up the spectrum with age. So getting a 5k HID means by the time it's old, it will be around 5.5k, which should match pure white switchbacks perfectly.

As for throw, not all LEDs are created equally. Some have reflectors built into the diode, some require good reflectors or projectors to work. Any ones with a reflector built into the diode are always going to be less efficient than those with a good projector/reflector setup because you're focusing light at the diode, which is messier.

I would still tell you to get HIDs and projectors and leave the LEDs behind for a couple more years until they're way more mainstream and the tech for automotive headlights has matured past the "it works in a flashlight, let's up the amps and put it in a headlight" phase.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by elricfate
I didn't take it as rude. Most switchbacks and HIDs will be right around the same color temps, and HIDs will shimmy up the spectrum with age. So getting a 5k HID means by the time it's old, it will be around 5.5k, which should match pure white switchbacks perfectly. As for throw, not all LEDs are created equally. Some have reflectors built into the diode, some require good reflectors or projectors to work. Any ones with a reflector built into the diode are always going to be less efficient than those with a good projector/reflector setup because you're focusing light at the diode, which is messier. I would still tell you to get HIDs and projectors and leave the LEDs behind for a couple more years until they're way more mainstream and the tech for automotive headlights has matured past the "it works in a flashlight, let's up the amps and put it in a headlight" phase.
Thanks for seein my side of it. I have limited funds and just needed a change to match things up and go all white. A whole set of decent HID's are about the same as true white halogens so I figured I'd try it. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-26-2016, 12:07 PM
Some guy

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,280 Posts

thread cleaned up
Old 05-26-2016, 12:09 PM

For anyone wondering, I went with HIDS. 55W set. I have experience with 55w sets and 35W sets and they seem to be the best for my use. There more tried and true than LED's.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by LaMartian
thread cleaned up
Thank you man.

Quick Reply: HID or LED conversion kit?