Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

HID Headlight Issues...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 09:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default HID Headlight Issues...

First off, let me say I have NO experience whatsoever with HID lights...

The previous owner installed HID's in the headlights and fog lights and I'm not sure if this is normal but when I switch to high-beams, there are none... all lights shut off. Also, when I turn on the fog lights, the high beam dash light illuminates... It's kind of annoying even though the low beams are bright as hell... Also, How hard would it be to just convert all of them back to stock?
Thanks in advance for your help...
Old 11-19-2014, 12:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as for the high beams, make sure your HID's are hi/lo not just hlo's. The lo's don't have a high beam. The way you can tell which are which is by how many bulbs the little assembly has. If the light has 2 bulbs it is a hi/lo if it has one it is just a lo kit.

To remove them is also pretty simple I'm not a pro guy myself and I can do it lol):

1. Remove the head lights. There should be 3 bolts holding in the head light. One on top and 2 on the side.

2. Once you remove the head lights pull them out and twist out the HID bulb.

3. Unplug the HID bulb from the factory wiring (green plug) and you should see the rest of the wiring going to a ballast. that ballast should not be connected to anything therefore you can simply just pull it off or unscrew it if it has a little mounting bracket.

4. Once you unplug it plug in your stock headlights and your good to go. Same steps apply to the fogs.

Wish i had pictures but i don't next time i swap out my lights ill snap a few and have them handy!

Best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
JKRIFX4 (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 05:14 AM
Just Creepin

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

If they are stock headlights with hid bulbs then you wont have Hi beam (most likely) Most HIDs are not hi and low beam. They are gas filled so there is not a 2nd filement in the bulb to ignite which puts light in a different spot to hit the reflector at different angle creating the high beam.

Now, i say most hids dont because ive seen (and i believe it's recently new) they are making hid bulb that built for hi/low beam combo applications like ours and many others. The whole bulb physicaly clucks in and out to create simulate a dual filament incandescent. I havent seen these style gaining traction around here though. Normally Hid high beams are created by the a shield in the projector flipping up. Thus illuminating the cutoff.

The only fix for your problem is getting aftermarket lights with a projector lense in it if you want to maintain HIDs. They put a seperate reflector bowl for a standard bulb for high beams.

Side note. They dont make a seperaye high and low beam (quad light) with gid ability in voth. Hids take timw to warm up and do not like being turned on and off repeatedly in situations like being used as a high beam. Thats qhy factory installed hi/low hid use a cutoff shield.
JKRIFX4 (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 07:10 PM

Thanks, to both of you. Very helpful info. Im guessing I have just the lo beams, because they are the stock headlights. Before I remove them, What exactly is the big deal about them except that they are a bit brighter... And what is the difference between HID and xenon?
Old 11-19-2014, 08:19 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JKRIFX4
Thanks, to both of you. Very helpful info. Im guessing I have just the lo beams, because they are the stock headlights. Before I remove them, What exactly is the big deal about them except that they are a bit brighter... And what is the difference between HID and xenon?
HID stands for High Intesnsity Discharge. HID lighting systems in any automobile are of a metal-halide design. These systems utilize a charge of xenon gas to keep warm-up and full-brightness time to a minimum. There is no difference. Any HID system is one and the same. The only difference is if the system is a bi-xenon (hi-low beam) and color variations.

To answer your earlier question, the reason why all your forward facing lights shut off when you engage your high-beams is because the controller unit for your HID system doesn't have input for high-beams, so when the signal for the low-beams is disrupted...they shut off. And fog lights shut off by default when your high-beams are activated.

As to why your high-beam indicator light illuminates when your fogs are activated...it's a resistance issue. HID ballasts don't create enough resistance, so it causes a false reading through the electrical system. A set of load-resistors installed into those fog lights should take care of your ghost light.
JKRIFX4 (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 08:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JKRIFX4
Like was mentioned above it really depends on the kit in the truck, I had aftermarket Brightsource HID lights in my 2011 they were lo/hi. They are brighter BUT all those aftermarket kits that just give you ballasts are very offensive to oncoming traffic not the correct way to do it (even the kit I ran was not the correct way to do it) HID is best used with a projector, how they get the very sharp cut off and still be bright but not offensive to oncoming traffic. Xenon is the gas used in HID lighting, but most people use both terms to mean the same thing.
JKRIFX4 (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 08:41 PM

Yeah, I think I'm just going to take them back to stock... People do flash at me quite a bit for the brightness, and i do like having hi and lows... Plus, I have straight pipes so if a cop decides to pull me over for the lights, there's a chance i'd get screwed for the exhaust as well...

Quick Reply: HID Headlight Issues...