Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

HID Flicker + Wrong Bulb For Fogs

Old 02-27-2011, 02:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HID Flicker + Wrong Bulb For Fogs

Okay so I ordered some HID Lights from DDMTuning... after a lot of research they seem to have some good reviews. I got the Hi/Low Kit, and the 55Watt Ballast. It has the relay with it and all. Everything works as it should... With the exception that the bulb on the driver side seems to flicker mainly when the brakes or applied. It comes and goes... Turning the lights off and on does not seem to fix it. It doesn't seem to do it with the brights turned on. Any solution this? I've swapped bulbs and it still does it on just that side, swapped ballast, same exact thing. Ballast are fine, bulb is fine. It has to be something else. A buddy of mine recommended I add higher amp fuses for both head lights, and it may get rid of the flicker.

The other issue I have is I did some research and according to a lot of places the H1 Low Kit is what I needed to make my fog lights in my 2004 Ford F150 work. The bulb doesn't fit.. Any solution to this? Besides sending them back, because apparently DDM isn't ever going to respond to my support request.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have the DDM kit, but on my 06 it flickered for at bout the first 10 minutes of having them on and then stopped. In my instructions it said to burn them in for 10 minutes before turning them on and off. The set I put in my 04 never flickered at all, both were the hi/low, same manufacturer so go figure. Your fogs should be a h-10 bulb. Good luck with them!
Old 02-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Nothing rattle canned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd call DDM and ask them, I've had really good luck over the years with their products. Some people don't like their customer service (or lack of according to some)....but I've never had a problem that would result in having to call them so...

And your fogs are H1/9145...I changed mine to 9005 35W HIDs.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:00 PM

Any modifications needed for the 9005's? I bought H1 Low Beam Kit, and they did not fit. The bulbs didn't fit, and the little prongs that plug into the stock connector wouldn't fit. That wouldn't of been a big deal, would of just spliced into the wires, or cut the ends off and put different ends on it. The problem was the bulb wouldn't fit in the hole, to lock it in. So now I have a set of H1's that I can't use. Could a shotty ground connection cause flicker ? I grounded the wire to the body on the side of the truck under the hood. There was already some other stuff grounded there.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:05 PM

it could possibly be a ground.

i woudl hang onto the H1's. if in time you ever go to projection headlights thats the bulb you will need. and as far as the 9005's in the fogs? its not the best of fitting, but i made it work. i also have the DDM tuning HID kits, headlights and fogs.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:13 PM

Which fits the best in the fogs? I want one that fits perfect? My buddy has an 08 and he put H10's in, and he said he had to use vice grips to twist, but it worked, and they were snug as well. His truck however calls for H10's, his stock bulbs were 9140 (H10's), where mine are 9145 (H1's)...

I will make a new ground. I would think that the ground ford put on it would of been good enough, but I guess you never know. It comes and goes... I am gonna try changing the fuses to high amped fuses. I am also going to contact DDM Tuning this time by phone.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:16 PM

9005's your gonna have fun with too just like he did. i dont think there is going to be a true perfect fit unfortunately. not to my knowledge anyways.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:19 PM

Well just as long as it fits into the hole... These H1's will not even fit in the hole. I don't know if there is anyway to even modify them... I guess I could cut part of it or something.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:22 PM

the 9005's had me cussing ill put it to you that way. i hope i dont have to deal with DDM again. their customer service sucks ***.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID Flicker + Wrong Bulb For Fogs