Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Hi output alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 06:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Hi output alternator?

I've got the factory alternator in my '06 5.4 lariat. I believe it's a 110 amp. Has anybody swapped a bigger like 200+ amp alternator in one of these trucks? My plan is to add 2-29 series deep cycles in the toolbox to run a ham radio and screwdriver antenna, along with some aux lights and maybe an inverter. Would like the box to be like an emergency power station. I run the transceiver (actually 2 of them, a dual band and an hf) and antenna off the main truck battery with no problems now, but would like to free up that for the truck and move them to aux power from the toolbox. I know the factory alt won't charge all the batteries so that's why I want to upgrade. I have a battery isolator so that the alternator will charge all the batteries at once but will separate the truck battery when the engine is off to protect the truck battery from being drained by aux batts.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:05 AM

Received 133 Likes on 70 Posts

I haven't swapped the alt in my f-150 but I've used Mechman HO alts in some of my previous cars powering XS power batteries. Great product and customer service.
The following users liked this post:
650NutKase (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

^exactly what i would recommend...
Old 04-04-2016, 05:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just put a Singer Alternator on my '06; It's his 180A. I didn't need to go larger, the additional current draw comes from an e-fan, an amp for door speakers and another for subs. Like you, I'll be adding my HF rig with auto tuner soon and I'll still have plenty for that, even if I had my sound system maxed while transmitting at full power (not sure why anyone would though). It has an overdrive pulley to help idle current as well. I don't have any complaints yet.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Renegade339
I just put a Singer Alternator on my '06; It's his 180A. I didn't need to go larger, the additional current draw comes from an e-fan, an amp for door speakers and another for subs. Like you, I'll be adding my HF rig with auto tuner soon and I'll still have plenty for that, even if I had my sound system maxed while transmitting at full power (not sure why anyone would though). It has an overdrive pulley to help idle current as well. I don't have any complaints yet.
I run a dual band and an hf rig in my truck now with no problems, just wanna separate the truck battery from all the additional accessories I'm adding.

Quick Reply: Hi output alternator?