Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Hessitation/Flat spot in Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hessitation/Flat spot in Acceleration

Just wondering if anyone had any idea. I bought this truck a week ago and checked the air filter and it was so clogged and caked with crud. I replaced it with a cheapo for now until I can work something out with a CAI or the K&N.

Since I changed the filter, when I hit the gas, the truck falls on its face for a brief moment and than is ok. Could this be the TB? Can I just clean it like any other Ford TB? Any helps gents would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:07 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

If the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) was at fault, should be getting the 'check engine' light. Didn't see what model year you had, but if you have a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor, it can foul but can be cleaned - be sure to use the correct cleaner - do not use carb cleaner, it will damage the sensor.

If you haven't put very many miles on since the change, wonder if perhaps the computer needs to learn its way back. With a fresh filter, a given change in throttle will yield a greater change in air flow as compared to the clogged filter.

If this computer-learning is the issue, suggest that you can hurry things along by pulling the negative cable off the battery for about 20-30 minutes. This will clear the learned adjustments and put things back to a factory-default condition.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Riding In The South

Originally Posted by Dahoopd
Just wondering if anyone had any idea. I bought this truck a week ago and checked the air filter and it was so clogged and caked with crud. I replaced it with a cheapo for now until I can work something out with a CAI or the K&N.

Since I changed the filter, when I hit the gas, the truck falls on its face for a brief moment and than is ok. Could this be the TB? Can I just clean it like any other Ford TB? Any helps gents would be greatly appreciated.
Hey man i bought my truck used and the dude before me neverchanged the air filter so i changed that and i would be going down the road and the truck rpm's would drop so i went to napa and got a can of trottle body cleaner and clean it real good and truck has not done it since
Old 02-06-2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by wde3477
If the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) was at fault, should be getting the 'check engine' light. Didn't see what model year you had, but if you have a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor, it can foul but can be cleaned - be sure to use the correct cleaner - do not use carb cleaner, it will damage the sensor.

If you haven't put very many miles on since the change, wonder if perhaps the computer needs to learn its way back. With a fresh filter, a given change in throttle will yield a greater change in air flow as compared to the clogged filter.

If this computer-learning is the issue, suggest that you can hurry things along by pulling the negative cable off the battery for about 20-30 minutes. This will clear the learned adjustments and put things back to a factory-default condition.
Man I am so retarded. I could have tried that before asking. I have owned many fox body mustangs and now a T-Bird SC that takes up all of my money. I should have though of cleaning the MAF and relearn. Just figured I would check, these newer vehicles have a lot more on them than the 95 and earlier models I am use to. Thanks for the response guys.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:23 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Dahoopd
Man I am so retarded.
Heheh - don't worry about it. I can relate to having more than a few of those D'Oh moments myself. :-)
Old 02-06-2008, 08:19 PM

My 04 does that sometimes. I will step on it to jump into traffic and it just dies then takes off. The engine is stock and the air filter is clean. Could I have a problem with the fuel injection or something?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:19 PM

Help with the MAF. Is it the part that slides into the airbox on top of the motor? I unplugged it and pulled it out but it doesnt look like an ordinary MAF sensor wire that can be cleaned. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey guys just so you know I think, and from what I have read else where that is just kind of a factory f150 thing cause I just bought my 08 and I have less the 500miles on it and it does the same thing. Others have said getting one of the programers takes care of it.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Londart08XLT
Hey guys just so you know I think, and from what I have read else where that is just kind of a factory f150 thing cause I just bought my 08 and I have less the 500miles on it and it does the same thing. Others have said getting one of the programers takes care of it.

My 04 did that from day one. I never really noticed it until someone pointed it out to me. However, as soon as I installed the Edge Programmer, the truck no long hesitated when I mashed the gas. I keep mine set on level 2 towing for optimum gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Hessitation/Flat spot in Acceleration