Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Hesitation when flooring the throttle

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hesitation when flooring the throttle

Hey there. Ive got a 2007 fx4 screw. In general I love the truck. But there has been a few issues that are starting to pick at me. First, when flooring the gas pedal crusing at 30 to approx. 60 km there is a complete hesitation for a second and then the throttle pics up. Sometimes it happens a second time. Dealer said mas sensor may need to be cleaned. Not too sure. Almost feels like it hesitates to shift. Only happens with full throttle. 5.4 l engine. Second, the doors rattle.

Last edited by chrisbaxter; 08-01-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: not finished
Old 08-01-2011, 07:00 PM

The issue of lag is caused by having the 5.4 under your hood… But seriously; mine felt that way too. I put exhaust, CAI and a Gryphon in and it completely changed the way the truck drives. I had a 6 speed BMW before this truck, so the throttle response of the 5.4 was really hard to get used to. I know there was a pretty good MAS airflow write up on here a couple of weeks ago if you want to look into the issues that he was having.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisbaxter
Hey there. Ive got a 2007 fx4 screw. In general I love the truck. But there has been a few issues that are starting to pick at me. First, when flooring the gas pedal crusing at 30 to approx. 60 km there is a complete hesitation for a second and then the throttle pics up. Sometimes it happens a second time. Dealer said mas sensor may need to be cleaned. Not too sure. Almost feels like it hesitates to shift. Only happens with full throttle. 5.4 l engine. Second, the doors rattle.
Well for the doors first make sure its not the speaker screen, if it is then a little 2 sided tape fixes that, if it is on the inside open it up and take the panal off and check it out, something is more than likely craced and 2 sided tape will fix that as well. For the hesitation I would check the air filter, MAS, and maybe the fuel filter. Does it have a intake on it that may be making it run lean?
Old 08-02-2011, 06:36 AM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

A Gryphon fixed my 4.6L throttle response issues and helped with transmission shifting as well. The factory settings were rather lethargic. I have some door rattles but only on bumpy roads. I think it's just a drawback of not having a centerpost (SCAB).
Old 08-02-2011, 06:37 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

So...in short Chris $500 will fix that problem.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:56 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Some have reported that they got rid of the lag by removing and cleaning the back throttle plate of the throttle body, using throttle body cleaner. This is a one hour weekend project.

Also, try the throttle adjustment trick. It's also been reported here that folks removed lag buy pressing the gas pedal to the floor, then letting it release. This is done several times with the ignition key in the "on" (engine not running) I believe.

Both of these are worth a try. A can of throttle body cleaner would set you back under $10.00, and the throttle adjustment trick is a freeby.

A whole lot less than a tuner, exhaust, and CAI.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:24 AM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Also, try the throttle adjustment trick. It's also been reported here that folks removed lag buy pressing the gas pedal to the floor, then letting it release. This is done several times with the ignition key in the "on" (engine not running) I believe.

The throttle calibration; Start with the truck off. Turn the key on, do not start just have the key in the ignition on position. Slowly depress the gas pedal all the way to the floor (remember I said slowly, real slow). When you press the throttle all the way to the floor, take you foot off the pedal. Then turn your truck off. Repeat this procedure 2 more times. Then start her up and drive normally for a few miles. That should have calibrated the throttle. Freebie like Bucko mentioned above!

Clean your MAF too. That will cost you the price of a can of MAF cleaner. Don't use anything else!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the info. You have been a great help.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:45 AM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisbaxter
Thanks for the info. You have been a great help.
Did it work Chris?

Quick Reply: Hesitation when flooring the throttle