Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Hesitation issues, truck falls on face

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation issues, truck falls on face

So a while ago I put on an Airaid intake.

I noticed that after doing so, when the truck got up 45 mph or more, if I gave it a little gas there was no power, if I gave it a little more, it would slowly climb up to about 2000 rpm. Once it got there, it would just stop making power and I'd hear a loud buzzing from under the hood. If I gave it more gas finally it would jump right up to about 2500 rpm and would increase steadily if I stayed on the gas. If I tried to maintain 2500 rpm it would lose power and fall back down to around 1400 rpm.

If, on the other hand, I was below 2000 rpm, and was off the gas completely, and instead of gradually giving it gas, i gave it quite a bit, it would go right up to 3000 or so like it should.

After struggling with the people at Airaid, and trying various things (I thought it might be a vacuum leak), and being unsatisfied with the overall fit of the Airaid, I swapped it out for a 3" AF1. I still have the same problem described above. This leads me to think maybe the computer (shifting points or something) got messed up or something when i removed the battery connection to do the original install?

I think I'm going to take it to the dealer to have them look at it. The problem is 100% reproducible. Could it be the program is messed up or something? I shouldn't have to take the AF1 off, correct? I don't have any custom tunes on it yet. Any other comments?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:28 AM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I think LovetheTide said something like if you get the 3.5" AF1 intake that you have to have custom tunes for it or it will give you computer problems.

I'm sure they'll chime in to give you more info but that's what I remember them saying.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:31 AM

I have the 3" AF1. No light on the dash came up either.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:58 PM

I'm not sure but it sounds like the MAF could've gotten dirty. You can try buying a dedicated MAF sensor cleaning spray at any auto parts store.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:29 PM

I'll give the cleaning a shot, but would a dirty MAF act fine at below ~45mph but not above?
Old 04-22-2008, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
I'll give the cleaning a shot, but would a dirty MAF act fine at below ~45mph but not above?
I've had dirty or bad MAF sensors do all kinds of crazy things. I've seen it before, but I would think that the manufacturer would've suggested that when you called them.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:30 PM

Cleaned the MAF, left the battery unplugged for 1/2 hr...still does it...I think I have to go to the dealer. I shouldnt have to put the stock intake back on should I?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:24 PM

Cleaned the MAF, left the battery unplugged for 1/2 hr...still does it...I think I have to go to the dealer. I shouldnt have to put the stock intake back on should I?
I would just to be safe. That way they can't possibly blame it on the aftermarket intake.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:39 PM

I hate to say it, but if it's not the MAF sensor, your flux capacitor might be toast. It sucks that you've got to take it in to the stealership.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by iceman302
I hate to say it, but if it's not the MAF sensor, your flux capacitor might be toast. It sucks that you've got to take it in to the stealership.

Well that's just f*ckin fantastic. Where am I going to get the 1.21 Jigawatts I need to drive to work? Good thing its bike weather!

Quick Reply: Hesitation issues, truck falls on face