Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

here I go again

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:41 AM

Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts

Default here I go again

well yesterday decided to check the oil it's been doing good but only after 1800 miles since they replaced the heads it dropped 2qrts of oil I guess that wasn't the problem I'll have to notify ford today this is starting to get old
Old 03-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

2 qt's?!? Geez man..I am sorry. Let us know what they say
Old 03-10-2009, 06:37 AM

will do Sin I have to drop off tomorrow (wed) the only thing left they could do is replace whole motor don't know what else it could be. I guess I'll find out I do know service manager wasn't to happy to hear from me with that news.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:13 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I assume they have changed the rules about "axcessive oil consumption"... it used to be that it was not considered axcessive unless an engine used 1 quart within 500 to 800 miles.

I had a 94 Corvette that was drinking oil. Brand new, and went through a quart every couple of months (about 700 miles). I took it back each month, and all the dealership would do was add a free quart of Mobil synthetic for me. This went on for almost a year. After the engine had about 8 thousand miles on it, the service manager finally got the regional rep involved, and they (GM) took the car back, and gave me a brand new 95 (same options/color). Never had the problem in the 95.

The facts of this story was that the sales manager stated GM did not consider 1 quart every 700 miles "excessive", until I reached arounf 8 thousand miles. While I could not believe this, I had no choice; the vehicle was under full warrantee, I was documenting each time I took it into the dealer to have them add oil (at their expense), so if the engine got damaged, I would not be liable.

Glad to hear Ford is siding with you on this one.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:36 AM

Bucko I assume they have changed the rules about "axcessive oil consumption"... it used to be that it was not considered axcessive unless an engine used 1 quart within 500 to 800 miles.

I had a 94 Corvette that was drinking oil. Brand new, and went through a quart every couple of months (about 700 miles). I took it back each month, and all the dealership would do was add a free quart of Mobil synthetic for me. This went on for almost a year. After the engine had about 8 thousand miles on it, the service manager finally got the regional rep involved, and they (GM) took the car back, and gave me a brand new 95 (same options/color). Never had the problem in the 95.

The facts of this story was that the sales manager stated GM did not consider 1 quart every 700 miles "excessive", until I reached arounf 8 thousand miles. While I could not believe this, I had no choice; the vehicle was under full warrantee, I was documenting each time I took it into the dealer to have them add oil (at their expense), so if the engine got damaged, I would not be liable.

Glad to hear Ford is siding with you on this one.
they didn't right away it took about 2 months worth of testing before they believed me they said a qrt every 1000 could be considered normal I don't agree with that not a truck with at the time under 20,000 miles but when I checked it this past Sat (i know I posted 1800 miles) it was actually closer to 1500 miles since they replaced the heads thats averaging about a qrt every 750 miles which there testing results showed about a qrt every 800 miles so I don't think the head replacement was the answer
Old 03-12-2009, 05:44 AM

got it back from dealer yesterday the mech says there was 2 bolts loose in one of the valve covers about a turn and a half he's not saying for sure thats the issue have to drop it of next week when they have a loaner so they can really look into it he said it might be the silicone gasket I'm a little skeptical though I'm finding it hard to believe that it is loosing the same amount of oil in the same amount of time with 2 different problems but I'm trying to stay patient and opened minded
Old 03-12-2009, 06:29 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

If you were dumping two quarts out of a loose valve cover (due to loose bolts) you would have known it, as the side of the engine would have been oily, plus there would have been oil drops on the ground from that much oil. And no doubt, some would have made it onto the exhaust manifold, so you'd smell burning oil.

I seriously doubt the loose valve cover bolts are the issue of two quarts down. It was down two quarts before; they did head work; now they are saying the oil loss this time is loose valve cover bolts?

They are delaying the inevitable.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
If you were dumping two quarts out of a loose valve cover (due to loose bolts) you would have known it, as the side of the engine would have been oily, plus there would have been oil drops on the ground from that much oil. And no doubt, some would have made it onto the exhaust manifold, so you'd smell burning oil.

I seriously doubt the loose valve cover bolts are the issue of two quarts down. It was down two quarts before; they did head work; now they are saying the oil loss this time is loose valve cover bolts?

They are delaying the inevitable.
Thats what I'm saying I guess they think I'm really clueless they even asked me if I changed the oil since they redid the heads because the oil looked new I told them no it only had 1600 miles on it since they did the heads I would hope it still looked new the mech seemed to have a hard time believing me
Old 03-18-2009, 01:37 PM
3wV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did they ever take a leak-down test to see if the rings have any sealing ability?
Is your air cleaner or crankcase closed loop burning your oil up? Go to the air cleaner, see if it is peppered with oil. Go to the exhaust pipe, swab a finger in a non oiling car exhaust, rub your fingers between both soot samples. Does your exhaust feel more slippery or oily is more caked on wet than a hard, dry, exhaust tip?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the motor is'nt covered with oil then the exhaust must be blowing black smokw while your driving. Check your tailpipes then check your throttle body for bypass.