Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Herculiner bed liner

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Zack AKA Doctor guy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Herculiner bed liner

So I just got paid today and I was thinking about getting the Herculiner bed liner kit and well I'm a little iffy about it because well I'd like to know if it will hold up, is it durable?
what's weather like on it?
Putting stuff in the bed?
Do things slide around as much in the bed?
If anyone has any experience with Herculiner or any suggestions I'm open for it. Id just like to know if it's worth the $80-$90. Or if I should save up for something more?
Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Herculiner is a great product. I didn't use it in my bed, but I used it for my rockers and the whole 2-tone strip. The key to getting good results from it is in the prep. Search google extensively on how to properly prep a truck bed before laying down the bed liner to see if you really want to do the work. It wasn't as difficult or time consuming the way I did it, because I was covering paint I scuffed and awful mud work, because I am no body man. That didn't require near the prep a bed does. Google it and you'll see what it takes, personally I'd have mine sprayed for the $500 than take the ridiculous amount of time to do the work right. If any of the prep is wrong the bed liner will peel or chip off there and once it starts it'll keep going. Plus when you get it sprayed you get a warranty, and if you do it yourself and it gets screwed up, it's your problem.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Zack AKA Doctor guy

I think I'll save up for rhino liner or Line x in that case then. Warranty has been my favorite word lately hahaha
Thanks for the quick response though! Maybe I'll think about it but I think im more on the spray on area then DIY
Old 03-07-2012, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both Rhino liner and Herculiner I hear are garbage. I had the Line X done and I love it. The guy told me that a lot of people who do any type of DIY bedliner don't put enough of the material is certain places and it wears very quickly. I got my local ford dealer to call up there to Line X and have them give me a special price. Got it done for $375 rather than the full price of $450. Might wanna try that! Plus, the lifetime warranty on Line X is pretty sweet!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:04 PM

Rhino is great and so is Herculiner, like I said it all has to do with prep. I do agree that Line-X is better, but it's usually a lot more than the prices you said, even $450 is a good deal around here for Line-X. I've seen Line-X and Rhino both be bad, and both be excellent, it all depends on who does it.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:08 PM
clw

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I picked up a can and a quart of herculiner over the winter. waiting till my free time and good weather coincide and I'll do a write up on it. I'm going to take my time and do the prep work. I've been doing extensive bodywork for some time so the hours of prep work are kind of second nature to me. I completely understand why so many people would rather have it prepped and sprayed for them, or get frustrated with the prep and half *** it.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:18 PM

It really does suck, especially if you haven't done anything like that before, and if it's half-assed it'll be a complete waste. My truck had a drop in when I bought it and it'll stay that way. Not my #1 choice, but it's already there.

Trending Topics

Old 03-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Zack AKA Doctor guy

I think if I did the Herculiner the prep would kill me. Not because it takes so long but I'm not 100% of how much I'd need to get the bed to. I can sand all day and still not be sure if it's correctly prepped but that's only when it comes to doing a bed liner. If its my bumpers or something smaller I can do the prep work and well have a good feeling when I'm done prepping. Thanks for the opionions guys. I think I'm going to give my ford dealership a call tomorrow and see what it would cost me for the line x.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:49 PM

I decided to go with Herculiner and I love it. Take your time with the prep work and you will have no problem with it peeling or chipping off. I sanded my bed for 2 afternoons after I got off work and the 3rd day I cleaned everything really well and applied 1 coat. The next afternoon I applied the 2nd coat. It has been coated for about 6 months and it has not faded a bit. I have had everything from steel to rocks, lumber and shoveling out mulch from the bed and no problems what so ever. My buddy had his F350 rhino lined a few months before I started thinking about my coating my bed. We were loading a 4wheeler in the back when the front rack bumped the front of the bed chipping off a good size chunk of the liner. We touched up the chipped spot on his bed with my left over Herculiner. My dads truck is rhino lined since 2001 and has been great, but I am super happy with my $350 savings by using Herculiner.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:06 PM

Well anything could be good and I absolutely agree. I would say if anyone is going to DIY it then add extra in all the spots that are going to get the most contact (tailgate, wheel well humps, etc.)

Quick Reply: Herculiner bed liner