Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Help with Trouble codes... (Cyl Misfire)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 02:50 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Help with Trouble codes... (Cyl Misfire)

My 04 fx4 Screw has run like a dream since I bought it about a year ago.
I went to start it up this morning and noticed a slight shutter in the engine. It was also lacking power and idling about 50 rpm lower than normal. I checked the trouble codes through the Edge Evo and it threw 3 of them. It may be worth noting that the truck has Long-tube headers, no cats, or mufflers...
1. P0171- System too lean Bank 1.
2. P0304- Cyl 4 Misfire.
3. P0316- Misfire detected on startup 1st 1000 revolutions...

The plugs are fairly new, changed just before I bought the truck, Wondering if it could be a coil or something. Anyone who could point me in the right direction would be appreciated. Also Is it safe to drive short distances to work with the misfire...

(UPDATE) Cleared the codes, and took the truck for another ride. Everything went back to normal for about 20 miles, then I jumped on the highway for a bit, and it ran fine up until I gave it a good burst of throttle. then it stumbled before downshifting and then picked back up again... the codes and engine light did NOT return, and now its running fine again... I put some injector cleaner in the tank as well...

Last edited by JKRIFX4; 06-21-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:47 PM
Ford truck and Stihl saws

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4

code #3 is concerning it is cam timing errors. First order of business is to check oil level as timing chain is tightened by oil pressure. Do this by dipstick method the short throw gauge on these trucks is a joke. Next if you start it does it make any noises, dieseling, ticking other than injectors? Does noise appear when decelerating? If noise is louder when coming to a stop that could be the timing chains. If you have or had dieseling check threads on cam phaser issue. If you start up and it is fine then it has an error on timing after a while it can be the phaser. The timing is good after you start but then it will get off after a while and show codes. To me it sounds like a phaser but you should look into it more. If you think it is a phaser do not drive it. My phasers went out and I didn't know until it was too late for that engine. Good luck with everything just explore options now because it may be nothing major. Pm me if you have any questions or need anything else.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:43 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Help with Trouble codes... (Cyl Misfire)

thanks for the reply. its made no noise like that at all... the engine is smooth and quiet, besides the injector noise. oil level was good. i change it with mobil 1 every 3k...

Quick Reply: Help with Trouble codes... (Cyl Misfire)