Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

help with torque obd2 reader

Old 10-25-2016, 11:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default help with torque obd2 reader

ok folks... i already had the app. torque pro...

i was excited to be able to monitor transmission temp, as well as cyl misfires.. allow me to replace one coil pack rather than all 8.

but when i track realtime information, and go to add data, there are some options that are green,a nd some that are black... the black ones seem to not be available? these include misfires, and the transmission temp(method 1,2, and 3)...transmission fluid temp(method 1 and 2) and even the transmission gearm total number of misfires
it actually seems like a very small % of sensors are available. but some are. speed, revs, etc.
so i saw this post...
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/easy-tr...5/#post4400054

where i saw this advice...
Go to Menu-Settings-Manage extra PIDs/Sensors. Then click menu again to Add Predefined Set. There will be a package for Ford. There are a ton of extras.
ok great... but i tried that... and when i hit menu, add predefined set.. it brings them all up... but i cant add them... if i scroll down to... say transmission fluid temp and click on it... a popup says... OPTIONS FOR: TransFl.... edit or delete... if i edit, i can go down to "test" and when i click it, it shows that it isnt getting any data... this is the case with every PID i try.

im a bit stumped. im not sure if im doing something wrong, or if my obd2 reader is bad?
Old 10-25-2016, 12:48 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Green means they are already placed somewhere on your app screen. Black should be able to add. Press and hold on an empty space in realtime info. Add display-digital display- cylinder misfire. Then select size. You tried that?
Old 10-25-2016, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by StephenG
Press and hold on an empty space in realtime info. Add display-digital display- cylinder misfire. Then select size.
I just tried mine and that's how mine works to add a display. Maybe uninstall the app and download it again? Make sure its updated?
Old 10-25-2016, 02:04 PM

yep. they dont read anything. just a --

trans temp, cyl misfires...

and after they are placed on the app screen they are still black, so there is that.

yep, thats exactly how i go about doing it.

latest version of torque. ill try re-installing it.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:07 PM

did you have to go through the process of "adding extra pid sensors"?

it seems like there is a lot of variety in our trucks.. see this post

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/p0174-c...9/#post4920919

seems like some trucks dont do live data with misfires... you have to go into the "test results"... which im going to try... but i would think id be able to at least see some of the other items.. like transmission gear, and temp. those are items id really like to have available.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:02 PM

Yep, had to add the extras. I have never had anything show up on my misfires so I just assumed I wasn't getting any. I cant answer about the trans temp as I don't monitor that. It seems like others on here with Torque have used it to find both misfires and trans temp. If I get a chance to check ill add the trans temp and see if mine shows anything.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:18 PM

yeah, i suspect it's nto working on yours either. most engines will have occasional misfires. its only when there are a LOT more on one than the others that it shows you have a problem.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:31 PM

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/torque-...sfires-356037/

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/misfire...ue-pro-237715/

Seems like the individual misfire counters may not be counters and more of a signal when it happens. If you go to the test results they say it will show you.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:38 PM

ok cool. thats what i suspected. i had seen those posts, but apparently its different for different trucks? idk. so now all i need to figure out is my transmission temp and gear.. im going to try another bluetooth obd2 reader and see if i can get different results with that one.

thanks for your help. hopefully someone else chimes in who has experience with transmission temp.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:02 PM

That's a good route to go as well. Some of the readers wont read everything.

It appears you know of and already used the search function so you probably have already seen this one too. https://www.f150forum.com/f4/easy-tr...-guage-319695/ He shows a picture of his reading trans temp but the guy just below him says his doesn't. Good luck and Ill let you know if mine works later.

Search this Thread