Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Help Setting Up My Audio

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help Setting Up My Audio

Please don't move this thread to the audio section of the forums. Can't ever get any help over there.

I don't really know how to set up my audio with my Kenwood DNX6190HD. I've got Infinity Kappa 6x8 Components in the front doors of my F150 and Infinity Kappa 2-ways in the rear doors. I like to have the highest treble possible with little bass. I'm not too sure what the mid range is. Is it the actual voices of the track? I guess where it's confusing is which is louder....the higher the hz the louder, or the lower (-x) the loudest?

I've also got this option, and I've got the front/rear speakers set up with the "oval" speaker option with "Tweeter" set to ON.

The, I have the option to hit the "XOVER" button, and brings up this screen.

Basically, I want my speakers to scream and not sound distorted, but I have no idea what settings to use to accomplish that. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'd really like an explanation of what the "XOVER" settings are and how to use them.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok you have you have a midbass and a tweeter in each front door, and you have a midrange and tweeter in each rear door. You have no lows correct ?

Quick question.........What kind of music do you listen to ?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by 04FX4SCab
Ok you have you have a midbass and a tweeter in each front door, and you have a midrange and tweeter in each rear door. You have no lows correct ?

Quick question.........What kind of music do you listen to ?
No subs, and I listen to polka music....lol, jk. I listen to country and sometimes i listen to the hip hop bee bop music. Got to keep it real out here in deez skreetz.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by FL0rida CrAcK3r
Got to keep it real out here in deez skreetz.
It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:10 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Please don't move this thread to the audio section of the forums. Can't ever get any help over there.

I don't really know how to set up my audio with my Kenwood DNX6190HD. I've got Infinity Kappa 6x8 Components in the front doors of my F150 and Infinity Kappa 2-ways in the rear doors. I like to have the highest treble possible with little bass. I'm not too sure what the mid range is. Is it the actual voices of the track? I guess where it's confusing is which is louder....the higher the hz the louder, or the lower (-x) the loudest?

I've also got this option, and I've got the front/rear speakers set up with the "oval" speaker option with "Tweeter" set to ON.

The, I have the option to hit the "XOVER" button, and brings up this screen.

Basically, I want my speakers to scream and not sound distorted, but I have no idea what settings to use to accomplish that. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'd really like an explanation of what the "XOVER" settings are and how to use them.
Set the bass to 60hz and then turn the bass to zero... Turn the volume up reasonably loud and then start turning up the 6.5 fronts frequency with tweeters... Move to the rear after the front while maintains a balance of zero fade. It's going to be very subjective with what you like... I think when you turn up the highs too much you will get a very tinny sound. You may want the bass up a couple notches after you turned the highs up.
The following users liked this post:
FL0rida CrAcK3r (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Especial86
Set the bass to 60hz and then turn the bass to zero... Turn the volume up reasonably loud and then start turning up the 6.5 fronts frequency with tweeters... Move to the rear after the front while maintains a balance of zero fade. It's going to be very subjective with what you like... I think when you turn up the highs too much you will get a very tinny sound. You may want the bass up a couple notches after you turned the highs up.
So you're saying the actual volume of the speakers at the time of adjusting the EQ will change the sound? I had no idea about that.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:16 AM

No subs, and I listen to polka music....lol, jk. I listen to country and sometimes i listen to the hip hop bee bop music. Got to keep it real out here in deez skreetz.
Lol! Here's a lesson of when keeping it real goes wrong.... http://m.comedycentral.com/videos/vi...x.rbml&cid=300
Old 12-27-2012, 10:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok you should have a built in HPF (High Pass Filter) that will block thanything below 500Hz from going to the speakers. Your fronts should have their own xover (Crossover) so you really shouldn't have to make any adjustment to them. Your rear will need the headunits HPF to cut out the lows. This should give you an open range to your rear speakers. Kenwood make great products but they sometimes make adjustment very very hard for the novice. Its odd that you listen to Country and Hip Hop and dont want any bass. You will need to make simple Bass and Treble adjustments until you like what you hear just be careful because without the low end of the sound spectrum it can sound like your listening through a coffee can.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:22 AM

So you're saying the actual volume of the speakers at the time of adjusting the EQ will change the sound? I had no idea about that.
Absolutely... Remember that your speakers will have to go through a break-in period... When this break-in period is over you will notice some more bass and mids and will likely want to retune your settings again...
Old 12-27-2012, 10:26 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Ok man here you go. Hz are going to be you lower frequency (bass). You typically won't want to turn that value up too high (65%-75% of head unit's allowance at most) The next is Mhz, which is your mid range frequency. Personally I have my mids only turned to about the same amount as my low frequency.

The last category is Khz, which is your highest frequency, (highs-treble). You don't typically want to turn this value to max either. To decide which level to assign to these frequencies, set all of these values to 0, then turn your radio volume to your preferred "keeping it treal" volume, then gradually increase each frequency level until you hear distortion. Then back that frequency off slightly.

I dunno if you are against adding a four channel amplifier but I can't recommend highly enough that you do. Even an aftermarket head unit will not give your speakers enough power to sound the best they can. It doesn't have to be the most expensive amp, but don't get a cheap one.

I recommend a decent 4 channel kenwood, or even a rockford fosgate. Even with perfect settings on your head unit you will be limited on how much quality volume you will get without an amp. Trust me on this one, your off to a good start, now finish the job with a decent amplifier. You will be glad you did.

One of the other pics you posted looks like a zone equalizer. I have mine set to neutral (as opposed to focusing on the best sound being focused to only the driver seat.)

The other picture you posted is you crossover setting. I think in the picture it is set to 60. If you want mostly treble, set it to 80 0r even 120ish. Not sure what options your stereo offers. Hope this helps man.

If you only take one thing away from this post..... get an amplifier. Your ears will thank you, your passengers will thank you.... thank me later.

Last edited by PondJumper; 12-27-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Help Setting Up My Audio