Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Help to remove the glass from mirror

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 11:11 PM
VanoFord2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help to remove the glass from mirror

OK all,need some help with removal of mirror glass.I am installing mirror marker lights on my mirrors like the super duty's have.Will be doing it this weekend.I will be removing the mirror itself from the door to make it easier,but is their anyway i can also remove the glass part of the mirror so that i can mount the bolts????I also need access for the wiring also.Removing the mirror glass will give me the room i need to mount the lights,and run the wiring.Any help would be great.I also dont mean breaking the glass itself as it would need to go back on,lol.Also installing my cab lights this weekend as well.....
Old 12-18-2009, 01:15 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

i believe you angle the glass all the way down so you can access the the pins to release the glass with a trim tool.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:29 PM
VanoFord2

Originally Posted by jbhill
i believe you angle the glass all the way down so you can access the the pins to release the glass with a trim tool.
Ok thanks allot.Now what do you mean by trim tool?Anything special??
Old 12-19-2009, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking of doing lights on my mirror backs too. What lights did you choose? Where did you get them? Are they going to be running and blinkers both? Need PICS when your done!
Old 12-19-2009, 11:27 AM

Default LED side mirror install.

I am abouit to begin trying to install these LED turn signal lights that i got on ebay. I will post pictures of the process but im not sure how succesful I will be since i have never done this before. I will let you guys know how it goes.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:36 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

The mirror glass panels on my heated/power units on the truck just pull straight off, it's just plastic clips in a circle on the back that hook to the motor.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:34 PM

Default LED side mirror install.

Hey guys, im the middle of removing the mirror, but as I was doing research, i came accross this AWESOME link on how to remove the mirror from the housing to reach the wires. maybe it will help.

http://www.kwmuth.com/techsupport/pdfs/21000960.pdf
Old 12-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Ah yes...Google is a great tool.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Ah yes...Google is a great tool.
Amen, Bucko! Amen!

By the way, ive almost got the wiring finished. So far, SUCCESS!
Old 12-20-2009, 03:39 AM
VanoFord2

Originally Posted by BJV269SS
I've been thinking of doing lights on my mirror backs too. What lights did you choose? Where did you get them? Are they going to be running and blinkers both? Need PICS when your done!
Ya i just got done doing it.Will post pics tomorrow.Oh ya,it was total pain in the u-no what,lol.I actually put my marker lights inside the mirror housing,thank god for a dremel tool,lol.Oh and let me tell ya,the wiring,oh ya,you will have fun with that.I ran my wires to the fog lamps,so they always come on when i turn the fig lights on,cause well i always have my fogs on at night.if you go this rout,you Will notice a brown wire going to the fog switch,i tied it in their.They will be running,but they wont be blinking unless you tie them into the turn signal.I got my lights from nappa,each one was $7.49.I chose an amber color light.Just be prepared for at least 2hours.Door panels have to come off,all the screws,speaker has to come off,and of course all the adapters have to be disconnected.Then finally take the mirror off,then remove the glass so that you can access the wires.The lights do come with a chrome base that the light goes into, that is used as a ground,but sticks to far out,so that when i decided to make my own ground going to the metal,take my trusty dremel out and cut the shape out in my mirror housing.Now i used epoxy to keep it in place.Then i ran a wire from the passenger side under my dash,removed the black lower piece,went thru their,then tied that one also into the fog lamp switch.Ya i hope all this made sence..If this didn't,i can tell you step by step on what i did over the phone,lol.Way easier,lol..

In end thoe,ya it came out good.What i like about it is custom.I also figured i save a couple hundred bucks of going to by mirrors that have the lights on them already.I was going for the super duty look with those mirror markers,and overall,came out good.

Quick Reply: Help to remove the glass from mirror