Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

HELP! Which plugs are best?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HELP! Which plugs are best?

Autolite or Motorcraft? My 04 has the 5.4 3V engine that has 215K on it. I've only owned this about 5 months so I don't know if or when the plugs has been changed. Had a check engine light a while back on #3 and I replaced the coil pack and it helped for a while. But it has a terrible shake and stumble during acceleration so I'm thinking plugs? No check engine is on now. Any help is MUCH appreciated! Thanks, Kenny. kennyy1@yahoo.com
Old 01-19-2014, 10:19 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Champions 7989 or original motorcraft will do. Advantage of Champions is that they are one piece and not supposed to break in half when removing.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:01 AM
VFL

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I have heard the Champions crap out very early, and for $20 a piece, I don't think that's worth the risk. Believe it or not, Autolite and Motorcraft plugs for our trucks are made by the same company, so you shouldn't go wrong with either. My work lists an E3 plug that will fit 3V engines, however I do not know anyone who has personally used them.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never had good luck with autolites.

some swear up and down by them though.

Just a matter of personal preference I guess.

For me.....any ford I own gets motorcraft plugs and oil filters. Good enough they put ford logos on the box's even lol.

My chryslers I have always ran champions (or NGK on occasion ) and my GM's I have always ran AC delco.

not a fan of bosch though.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:34 AM
VFL

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusterdude72
I have never had good luck with autolites.

some swear up and down by them though.

Just a matter of personal preference I guess.

For me.....any ford I own gets motorcraft plugs and oil filters. Good enough they put ford logos on the box's even lol.

My chryslers I have always ran champions (or NGK on occasion ) and my GM's I have always ran AC delco.

not a fan of bosch though.
I agree. I prefer Motorcraft for my truck. Bosch makes good fuel pumps, but terrible spark plugs (they don't make them for 3V engines anyway thankfully).
Old 01-20-2014, 09:34 AM

I've been using champions 50k miles trouble free. I'm just done having to worry about plugs breaking in half during removal.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Plugs

Originally Posted by primalurges
I've been using champions 50k miles trouble free. I'm just done having to worry about plugs breaking in half during removal.
+1
33K on mine and no plug related issues so far.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by primalurges
Champions 7989 or original motorcraft will do. Advantage of Champions is that they are one piece and not supposed to break in half when removing.
I've heard the champions are not
platinum??
Old 01-20-2014, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by KennyJoe
I've heard the champions are not platinum??
they are double platinum. Here is the description from Summit Racing for $13

Description: These Champion Double Platinum Power spark plugs have platinum on both the center and ground electrodes for longer life with minimal wear. The center electrode is platinum fine wire that is riveted onto the nickel alloy center electrode, and the ground electrode has a pad welded to the surface. The Champion Double Platinum Power spark plugs use a fine-wire and V-trimmed center electrode to create a sharper spark focus than conventional plugs. With their exclusive Heat-Active alloy, they are designed to reach operating temperatures quickly and maintain stable temperatures under varying engine loads. Widely designed for distributorless ignition systems, these Champion Double Platinum Power spark plugs can maximize fuel efficiency and spark energy.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:36 PM

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

dont want to highjack the thread but are the new motorcraft plugs redesigned or is it the just the addition of antiseize that helps with breakage? whats the most miles anybody's put on and changed plugs

Quick Reply: HELP! Which plugs are best?